[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Wishes for the future

vinsci@abo.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (01/05/89)

In article <10795@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
[...]
> You know what I'd like to see? Parallel processors. One runs Unix, and
> the other runs AmigaDOS, and they like know how to do lunch. You could
> get a mergerDOS window from Unix, and a Unix X11 (or Open Look!) window
> from AmigaDOS.  I think it would be an interesting solution over a
> layered approach, and probably easier to implement.
[...]

At the same time, why not prepare for symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) a'la
VMS 5 on VAXen, where each processor can handle all I/O-functions and tasks
on different processors communicate with each other, just as if they were
on the same processor. Wasn't Helios doing something similar on transputers?
  This would be nice for image processing *), compilers, simulations, etc.
This is probably a long time project, but why not start preparations now and
have it for 2.0 or 3.0.

*) By that time, the resolution problem should have been solved with a device
   independent graphics.library.

--
Leonard Norrgaard, vinsci@abo.fi, vinsci@finabo.bitnet, +358-21-654474, EET.
OK, I know I'm just dreaming...