[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Checking on resources during development

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (01/03/89)

In article <10191@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab) writes:

> 	Checking to see if everything get returned can be a bit of a pain,
> particularly if you're working out of VD0: (which is not to slander VD0:).
> My test cycle is:  avail, <program>, avail.  If the program opened
> previously unopened libraries, then I do another <program>,avail cycle and
> check the numbers.  In VD0:, this can be a problem, because it likes to free
> up memory "every so often".  Thus, I often find myself saying "dir >NIL: :
> OPT A" to try and make it happen more often so that the avail numbers don't
> say I have more free memory that I started with.

I use a similar "avail cycle" to yours, Leo, but every once in awhile, I also
force expunges to happen before and after the cycle.  Just to check that I'm
properly CloseLibrary()"ing, etc. everything ...

BTW ... to anyone that uses the Dillon/Drew "shell" ... before using an "avail
cycle" to check on memory deallocation, do a "set _path 0", so the command
history stack's memory alloc/free's won't get mixed in with your testing (as
commands flow off the end of the history stack, memory can be free'd by "shell").
Dunno if any of the other shells behave this way, but it is something to keep
in mind ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (01/06/89)

In a recent article, I stupidly wrote:

> BTW ... to anyone that uses the Dillon/Drew "shell" ... before using an "avail
> cycle" to check on memory deallocation, do a "set _path 0", so the command
> history stack's memory alloc/free's won't get mixed in with your testing (as
> commands flow off the end of the history stack, memory can be free'd by "shell").

Of course that should be "set _history 0"  ...  NOT _path   (thanks, Marvin).

Too much New Year's cheer, I guess ...

/kim