[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Stevie chokes when being run.

huver@amgraf.UUCP (Huver) (01/03/89)

There were some comments about how the Stevie editor doesn't start up
right when `run' command is used.  In Stevie, the `amiga.c' utilizes
Input() and IsInteractive() functions as a guide to determine whether it
is running interactively, from the current window (the one CLI or AmigaShell
uses).

This is obviously not a good choice.  If we use the example below:

	/* test.c */

	#include <exec/types.h>
	#include <libraries/dosextens.h>

	main()
	{
		struct FileHandle *mytty, *Input();
		BOOL   type, IsInteractive();

		mytty = Input();
		type  = IsInteractive(mytty);
		printf("type = %d\n", type);
	}

One would get (with both CLI and AmigaShell):

1> test			1> run test			1> test <test.c
type = -1		[CLI 2]				type = 0
			type = 0

A wiser choice is definitely to have Stevie open its own WB window and
run from there.
-----
 huver	     uunet!amgraf!huver
 816-474.4797

grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (01/06/89)

In article <214@amgraf.UUCP> huver@amgraf.UUCP (Huver) writes:

>There were some comments about how the Stevie editor doesn't start up
>right when `run' command is used.  In Stevie, the `amiga.c' utilizes
>Input() and IsInteractive() functions as a guide to determine whether it
>is running interactively, from the current window (the one CLI or AmigaShell
>uses).

The problem seems to be that some of the characters that the console sends
to STEVIE to tell it what the screen size is at start up are sometimes
lost. I had this happen occasionally to me when I used Lattice's getchar()
routine for input. When I changed to the AmigaDOS Read() routine the
problem went away for me and I assumed it had been fixed. Obviously not.
Oh well. If anyone has any ideas why I would be losing characters from the
console I'd appreciate hearing them. Or, even better, how to I find out
where the window structure of the current task (eg. STEVIE) is, so that I
can from it find out the window size.

>This is obviously not a good choice.  If we use the example below:
>
>1> test			1> run test			1> test <test.c
>type = -1		[CLI 2]				type = 0
>			type = 0

Luckily not very many people will run STEVIE with input re-directed from a file.
:-) :-)

>A wiser choice is definitely to have Stevie open its own WB window and
>run from there.

But I prefer to have it startup in the current window if it is at all
possible.

	fred