[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Math Chip Interface

trantow@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (01/06/89)

[Eat this ]

Could someone please explain how the IEEE libraries are implemented and
how operation differs with an 881 or 020.
Motorola literature discusses a macro and exception method of implementing
the 881 interface.  Do the IEEE libs contain F instructions or will an
020 equipped Amiga still interface to the 881 as a peripheral??

Someday I will get around to a fancy signature,
JJT

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (01/07/89)

In article <256@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> trantow@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:
>[Eat this ]
>
>Could someone please explain how the IEEE libraries are implemented and
>how operation differs with an 881 or 020.

The 1.3 ieee libraries use 2 different methods when talking to an 881.
If there is an 020/881 set up as a coprocessor the ieee libraris use
the F-line instructions.
If there is 680x0 and an 881 as a memory mapped io device then the ieee
libraries will talk to the chip as a peripheral device spoon feeding
and extracting the numbers.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale