[comp.sys.amiga.tech] quiche-eater questions...

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (01/07/89)

These are probably quiche-eater questions, but I'm a Mac-a-phile
helping out a friend who has an Amiga (but no access to Usenet)...

Question #1:  can an Amiga 2000 be made to automatically boot from
              internal hard disk?  Right now, he has to boot from a
              diskette, which then transfers control to the internal
              Seagate 20Meg hard disk.
              We tried putting all the files from the boot diskette onto
              the hard disk, but when we power cycled it just asked for
              the boot diskette.  The hard disk access light didn't even
              go on though, which seems mighty suspicious.

              BTW, his dealer says you *can't* boot from an internal hard disk,
              but I assumed that he was just a typical ignorant dealer....

Question #2:  what is the magical incantantation you have to put in your
              startup-sequence script to get it to look at the "Preference"
              settings?  We changed the colors, but it insisted on coming up
              in the old colors.  When we fired up Preference and choose the
              "old colors" (or whatever it was called), it used our new color
              scheme.

Any help with these questions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Thanks!

BTW, it is an Amiga 2000 with a Seagate 20Meg non-scsi hard disk, running
WorkBench release 1.2, version 33.59, kickstart version 33.180.  Is this
a relatively recent/healthy version of the Amiga o.s.?

-Ted

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (01/08/89)

>Question #1:  can an Amiga 2000 be made to automatically boot from
>              internal hard disk?  ...
>              BTW, his dealer says you *can't* boot from an internal hard disk,
>              but I assumed that he was just a typical ignorant dealer....

     Yes, a 2000 can boot automatically.  You must have an autoboot controller
and 1.3 ROMs installed.  You didn't say which hard disk controller he has.  If
he has the Commodore 2090, it cannot autoboot.  He needs the 2090A.  Most of
the newer third-party controllers also have this capability.  He will have to
replace his 1.2 KickStart ROMs with 1.3 ones, however.

>Question #2:  what is the magical incantantation you have to put in your
>              startup-sequence script to get it to look at the "Preferences"

     It should load the preferences automatically.  The data is stored in
devs/system-configuration.  Maybe you saved the preferences data on the hard
disk, and when you booted from the floppy, it loaded it off that.  If that
is the case, copy devs/system-configuration from the hard disk to df0:devs/
system-configuration.  This will put it on the boot disk.

>BTW, it is an Amiga 2000 with a Seagate 20Meg non-scsi hard disk, running
>WorkBench release 1.2, version 33.59, kickstart version 33.180.  Is this
>a relatively recent/healthy version of the Amiga o.s.?

     1.3 is the newest version of the OS.  He definatly should install this.
The new Fast File System is many times faster for disk access.  He will have
to back up his hard disk, reformat it, and then put the data back on it.  1.3
is required for auto-boot, as long as the user have an auto-boot controller.

>-Ted
                                                 --Rob.

Robert Silvers.                               rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(508) 452-5000 ex 2233

me128-aw@kepler.Berkeley.EDU (me128 student) (01/08/89)

In article <780003@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
>These are probably quiche-eater questions, but I'm a Mac-a-phile
>helping out a friend who has an Amiga (but no access to Usenet)...
>
>Question #1:  can an Amiga 2000 be made to automatically boot from
>              internal hard disk?

Yes, it can be done, but you need 1.3 Roms and an autobooting controller
like a 2090A or GVP hardcard.

>Question #2:  what is the magical incantantation you have to put in your
>              startup-sequence script to get it to look at the "Preference"
>              settings?  We changed the colors, but it insisted on coming up
>              in the old colors.  When we fired up Preference and choose the
>              "old colors" (or whatever it was called), it used our new color
>              scheme.

When you boot up, the system looks for a file devs:system-configuration, where
devs: is a logical which defaults to the devs/ directory on your boot disk
upon boot-up.  The problem is, that your startup-script probably re-assigns
devs: to stand for the devs/ directory on the hard disk.  Since preferences
writes to the current devs:, your changes go to the hard disk and are never
seen at boot-up.  What you need to do is type in the following at a cli:

  Copy devs:system-configuration df0:devs

to copy the changed config file to your boot disk.  Alternately, the 1.3
enhancement package has an icon you can double-click to do just this.  Make
sure your boot disk is in df0:, however

-Vince Lee