[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ** Updated proportional joystick pinout list

bryce@cbmvax.UUCP (Bryce Nesbitt) (01/10/89)

The Amiga's 9-pin controller ports can accept a wide variety of input and
output devices.  This is the complete list of pin assignments for 5
different types.

Note the addition of "Button 3" for the X-Y proportional joystick.  This
is intended to match the capabilities of existing IBM joysticks.

	Commodore-Amiga controller port pinout list - 01/09/88
                       Mouse,
                     Trackball,     Proportional       X-Y
                       Driving       Controller    Proportional
 Pin    Joystick     Controller        (Pair)        Joystick      Light Pen

 1       Forward       V-pulse          ---          Button 3         ---
 2        Back         H-pulse          ---            ---            ---
 3        Left        VQ-pulse      Left button      Button 1         ---
 4        Right       HQ-pulse      Right button     Button 2         ---
 5 **      ---      Middle button    Right POT        POT X       Pen pressed
                      (if used)                                    to screen
 6 **   Button 1     Left button        ---            ---           Beam
                                                                    trigger
 7         ---           +5V            +5V            +5V            +5V
 8         GND           GND            GND            GND            GND
 9 **   Button 2    Right button      Left POT        POT Y           ---
        (if used)
 ** This pin may also be configured as an output

cs161agc@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (01/14/89)

In article <5648@cbmvax.UUCP> bryce@cbmvax.UUCP (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>Note the addition of "Button 3" for the X-Y proportional joystick.  This
>is intended to match the capabilities of existing IBM joysticks.

  Yeah! This is good. Very good.  Now I can use three buttons
*legally* and *by the book*.
  What about pin 2? As in "button 4", to "support future state of
the art input devices".

  Any commercial analog sticks for the Amiga yet?  Or how about
commercial adapters for IBM sticks?  I made my own and have written
software to support it, but it's hard to have a feature in a program
that forces the user to custom build hardware to use it.  Anyone
interested in an analogjoystick.library?  We started writing one a
while ago, but there was little interest...

  John Schultz

cs161agc@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (01/14/89)

  Re: Bryce's "Button 3" posting: Does this mean 1.4 is going to
support analog joysticks (as in rom, library, or device?)?

  John Schultz