[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Binary loading times

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (01/18/89)

I noticed some behavior that I thought rather odd today.  I have
AmigaSpice and Superbase Professional on my hard disk.  Spice takes up
445K on the disk and SbPro takes up 354K.  When I execute these
programs, however, spice loads in just over 3 seconds, while sbpro
takes over 13 seconds to load!  When spice loads, the hard disk light
stays on steadily, and I can hear the heads moving
"tick...tick...tick...".  When sbpro loads, the drive does its usual
flickering and seeking all over creation.

I can think of two possible explanations for this.  First, sbpro is
badly fragmented and spice isn't.  I don't buy this because sbpro was
installed during a restore to a virgin, reformated disk, while spice
was added after a few days of heavy use.  If anything should be
fragmented, it should be spice.  Second, is it possible that the spice
executable is one large hunk, while the sbpro executable has the usual
multiple small hunks?  This should load faster, but wouldn't load at
all if there wasn't a large enough contiguous piece of free ram.

Can anyone verify or oppose these guesses?  How can I tell if a file is
fragmented or how many hunks are in an executable?

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

In article <15043@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>I noticed some behavior that I thought rather odd today.  I have
>AmigaSpice and Superbase Professional on my hard disk.  Spice takes up
>445K on the disk and SbPro takes up 354K.  When I execute these
>programs, however, spice loads in just over 3 seconds, while sbpro
>takes over 13 seconds to load!  When spice loads, the hard disk light
>stays on steadily, and I can hear the heads moving
>"tick...tick...tick...".  When sbpro loads, the drive does its usual
>flickering and seeking all over creation.

	Yup.  There are 114 (if memory holds) hunks in sbpro.  This slows
loads down to a crawl.  FFS (and LoadSeg) are much more efficient when they
have nice, big hunks to play with.  And you're right, if they are very large
there may be a problem loading them on a small-memory, fragmented system.
You can, however, specify to blink to merge hunks, but only up to some
upper size bound.  This gets you a small number of hunks, but not gigantic ones.

>Can anyone verify or oppose these guesses?  How can I tell if a file is
>fragmented or how many hunks are in an executable?

	Run dumpobj on it. (or was that objdump?)

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) (01/20/89)

In article <15043@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>I have AmigaSpice and Superbase Professional on my hard disk.  Spice takes up
>445K on the disk and SbPro takes up 354K.  When I execute these
>programs, however, spice loads in just over 3 seconds, while sbpro
>takes over 13 seconds to load!  When spice loads, the hard disk light
>stays on steadily, and I can hear the heads moving
>"tick...tick...tick...".  When sbpro loads, the drive does its usual
>flickering and seeking all over creation.

How much of Spice gets loaded?  For a program of that size, I wouldn't be
surprised if it uses overlays.  The 3 seconds may be how long it takes to
load in only the first section of the program.

How much of that 13 seconds is actually program load time?  Some programs take
a long time to load libraries, read the FONTS: directory, preload fonts, or
locate other files on disk.  If SbPro does all this before it opens its fist
window, then it would appear to be slow even if the program itself was loaded
quickly.  Seeking all over creation sounds like it's accessing multiple files.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | JMS@antares.Tymnet.COM[131.146.3.1] or jms@opus
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: {ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (01/21/89)

In article <355@antares.UUCP> jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) writes:
<In article <15043@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
<>I have AmigaSpice and Superbase Professional on my hard disk.  Spice takes up
<>445K on the disk and SbPro takes up 354K.  When I execute these
<>programs, however, spice loads in just over 3 seconds, while sbpro
<>takes over 13 seconds to load!  When spice loads, the hard disk light

<How much of Spice gets loaded?  For a program of that size, I wouldn't be
<surprised if it uses overlays.  The 3 seconds may be how long it takes to
<load in only the first section of the program.

All of it.  No overlays.  That's why it requires 1.1 Meg to run.

<How much of that 13 seconds is actually program load time?  Some programs take
<a long time to load libraries, read the FONTS: directory, preload fonts, or
<locate other files on disk.  If SbPro does all this before it opens its fist

There may be some of that, but I don't think so.  I generally already
have the libraries loaded, and sbpro doesn't read the fonts: directory
or load any devices to my knowledge.  It does scan the current
directory, but not until after the windows are opened.
--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP