[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Any hints on how to run a WB program from CLI?

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (01/17/89)

I need to be able to run a WorkBench program from another program,
including WorkBench programs that parse WorkBench messages.

How does one do this?  I seem to recall a program somewhere that did
something like this, but I don't remember where.  The other program may
be a process or task, I am not sure which.

A side question:
What I am trying to do is run WorkBench programs from a menu (it can do
CLI programs the same way as runback).  Now, since it may take some
time to load and run the new program, should I do this from a new
task/proc to keep IntuiMessages from piling up, or does it matter?

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	"You can't fight in here! This is the war room.."

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (01/22/89)

In article <412@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) writes:
>I need to be able to run a WorkBench program from another program,
>including WorkBench programs that parse WorkBench messages.
>
>How does one do this?  I seem to recall a program somewhere that did
>something like this, but I don't remember where.  The other program may
>be a process or task, I am not sure which.
>
>A side question:
>What I am trying to do is run WorkBench programs from a menu (it can do
>CLI programs the same way as runback).  Now, since it may take some
>time to load and run the new program, should I do this from a new
>task/proc to keep IntuiMessages from piling up, or does it matter?
>Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
A long time ago, the Software Distillery released my program WBRun to Fred
Fish (disk #43) which does exactly what you are asking for complete with
source code.  It does not require workbench to be running and passes
all the required arguments to the newly spawned program.  It respects all
the information in the tool icon for the program including stack size and
will search for the actual tool if the icon is a project icon.  Enjoy.

--
 |_o_o|\\   John A. Toebes, VIII       usenet:..mcnc!rti!sas!toebes
 |. o.| ||
 ======       BBS: (919)-471-6436