[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Slide Production on the Amiga

jay@garfield.MUN.EDU (Jay Kumarasingam) (01/19/89)

Does any one know of any hardware/software combinations for slide production on the amiga.  The capability to send the image start from the amiga to the camera box must exist.  Something that would give professional quality output.

jay

--
J.(Jay) Kumarasingam
UUCP:	{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4,utcsri}!garfield!jay

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (01/21/89)

In article <5074@garfield.MUN.EDU> jay@garfield.UUCP (Jay Kumarasingam) writes:

>Does any one know of any hardware/software combinations for slide production
>on the amiga.  The capability to send the image start from the amiga to the
>camera box must exist.  Something that would give professional quality output.

There is a company which has a system that uses the Polaroid Palette.  Their
software is called Imprint.  Try them at:
		Liquid Light
		2301 W. 205th Street
		Suite 106
		Torrance, CA 90501
		(213)618-0274
>jay
>
>--
>J.(Jay) Kumarasingam
>UUCP:	{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4,utcsri}!garfield!jay
>EAN:	jay@garfield.mun.cdn
>CSNET:  jay%garfield.mun.cdn@ubc.csnet

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (01/21/89)

in article <5074@garfield.MUN.EDU>, jay@garfield.MUN.EDU (Jay
Kumarasingam) says:

> Does any one know of any hardware/software combinations for slide
> production on the amiga.  The capability to send the image start from
> the amiga to the camera box must exist.  Something that would give
> professional quality output.

There's a box called the "Polaroid Pallette" that will allow recording
computer images on ordinary photographic film. If you did up any info
on me, I'm sure that there's a number of people on the net who'd be
interested. Unfortunately, the only info I have on it is advertising
slicks, which are in New Orleans... I seem to recall that its input is
an ordinary NTSC signal, which implies that a RGB-to-NTSC converter
would be all that's required for snapshotting. As for software... just
about any IFF viwer would do. There's any number of those floating
about in the public domain.

As an aside, our local cable station has four Amigas (3 500s, 1 1000)
with genlocks, used for both video production and the "viewing
directory" service....

--
Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (01/21/89)

In article <5074@garfield.MUN.EDU> jay@garfield.UUCP (Jay Kumarasingam) writes:

>Does any one know of any hardware/software combinations for slide production on the amiga.  The capability to send the image start from the amiga to the camera box must exist.  Something that would give professional quality output.
>
>jay

You might see film recorder control from a company that recently introduced
24 bit per pixel color scanner support. Seems like a logical next step, no?

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.

ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
UUCP:   {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/22/89)

In article <6871@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
>in article <5074@garfield.MUN.EDU>, jay@garfield.MUN.EDU (Jay
>Kumarasingam) says:
>
>> Does any one know of any hardware/software combinations for slide
>> production on the amiga.  The capability to send the image start from
>> the amiga to the camera box must exist.  Something that would give
>> professional quality output.
>
>There's a box called the "Polaroid Pallette" that will allow recording
>computer images on ordinary photographic film. If you did up any info
>on me, I'm sure that there's a number of people on the net who'd be
>interested.

Liquid Light in Torrance, Ca. sells a kit for $2500 which contains
the Polaroid Palette, two film backs (one for slides, one for
prints), software to drive it, and a heinous box that prevents
you from ruinning their software on a machine without it.

It's a pretty good system, and does a reasonable job. It only has two
problems.

The guy that wrote the software that drives the thing did a dumb
thing in that instead of using a look up table for the exposure
values (one value per RGB colour tick per r/g/b filter) he
built the exposure table by computing it, when the program
starts up, from the values of the filters, and the colour
values of the films. Well, he was a reaonable engineer,
and it works, but it could be improved on. This manifests
istself in the worst way when you are doing a slide
with a lot of blues. It translates them into a about
6 shades of blue.

Other companies that use the palette spend a lot of
bucks and pay an optica engineer to develop an optimal
exposure table.

The other problem of course is the stupid box.

What it's there for is to prevent you buying a palatte
at the normal retail price of $1300 and using their
software.

At any rate, if anybody wants to do some serious playing around
wit this thing, I have a driver I sorta wrote once, thats
about 7/8 finished, and the CORRECT film exposure table. Email me.

The market has been a little soft for Liquid Light in the amiga
area. But they double the price, sell them for the Mac ][ and
then sell like hotcakes. Sigh.

Yes, another colour flame from:

--
   ``In a few years, the only thing that will be made in America is a deal''
richard@gryphon.COM   {...}!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov