[comp.sys.amiga.tech] FFS: The beating goes on...

saare@ibmpa.UUCP (John Saare) (01/19/89)

First off, I'd like to thank David Gay for giving my problem some
thought and pointing out some deficiencies in my original posting...

A question to C-A is at the end of this note...

*** LONG APPEND WARNING ***

This is an elaboration of the question I asked earlier in
comp.sys.amiga.  This is the scenario:
  The hardware:
    A500
    Pac. Periph. SubSystem 500
    Pac. Periph. Overdrive host adapter
    Micron 2MB
    Adaptec 4000A SCSI to ST-506 xlator.
    2x70MB disks (ST-506)(Only 1 is relevant).

  The events:
    - My Micron 2MB flakes out and is sent off for repair, so I'm running
      with 512KB.
    - Using PP(Pac. Periph.) utilities of unknown vintage, but that are
      at least 1.3 cognizant, I perform a low-level format of a drive
      with an interleave of 2.  NOTE: There is no defect list available
      for the drive.  The format completes with no errors reported.
    - Using PP utilities, a surface scan is performed.  No errors are
      reported.
    - A mountlist entry is built for the drive.  I've heard that Interleave
      should be set to 0 for a 1:1, 1 for a 2:1, etc....  I've tried
      setting it to both n and n-1.  Results appear identical.  I've
      tried deleting MaxTransfer and setting it to arbitrarily large
      numbers e.g., 10000.  Because I'm using (was using) the Micron board, I've
      set Mask to 7ffff to prevent DMA to fast RAM.  I've tried
      removing the Micron board altogether (see above).
      Other mountlist fields are left as the PP utilities created them and/or
      as the C-A dox suggest.
      In essence, the mountlist entry for DH0: describes a single partition
      encompassing the entire disk.
    - I boot under 1.3 and issue the commands:
       mount dh0:
       format drive dh0: name "SlowBirds" ffs
    - The file-system format completes with NO errors, i.e., "verifying"
      never complains.  It is known that there are errors on this drive, but
      not where.  It's annoying that NONE of these errors have been caught
      up to this point.
    - The system runs but disk xfer rates are very slow e.g. 27K/sec ala
      diskperf.  Nothing I do improves disk performance.
    - I install stuff and grumpily procede as normal.
    - One day, while compiling (Manx 3.6a for the detail freaks) I get
      a R/W error on volume "SlowBirds".  I select cancel and then
      quarantine the whole directory the error occurred in, using "protect".
    - I cross my fingers and continue to use the system over a period of
      several days.  The system is rebooted before each day's use.  Everything
      seems fine.
    - One day, the machine crashes as a result of an out of memory condition.
    - Upon reboot, the disk-validator is run and WILL NOT GET PAST the
      allocated bad blocks, so I'm left with an invalid, read-only disk.
    - I wait until the Micron board returns (kudos to Micron for fast and
      efficient service), re-install it and run DiskDoctor.  After ALL
      this hoopla, the disk-validator is STILL unable to validate the
      disk, running into the bad blocks and failing to procede.

I've become disgusted and re"format"ted the whole mess.  I'm sure the problem
will repeat itself.  So some questions (some are semi-rhetorical):

    - It appears as though if a file-system is EVER formatted with ANY
      bad blocks, you will be scr_w_d(I'll buy a vowel Vanna). Is this true?
    - The verification step of "format" appears to be mostly a waste
      of cycles, doesn't it?
    - Given I don't have a practical means of USENET down-loading, are
      there any PD(Fish) or commercial utilities that will allow AmigaDOS/FFS
      to cope with bad blocks?  David Gay mentioned that Disk Mechanic
      might do the trick but has problems.  Unfortunately I'm unable to
      download David's own utility.
    - Has anybody experienced throughput problems with the Overdrive/Adaptec
      4000a combo?  Any solutions?
    - If I ever get a working system again, I'll be willing to write a
      utility that addresses EXACTLY this problem.  Anybody interested?
    - This last one is addressed to C-A:  I know my system is not
      of standard configuration.  I know of several difficulties with
      the PP host adapter and software aka software.  I know of the
      difficulties with interactions between the Micron 2MB and other
      boards such as the PP host adapter.  I believe that I've experienced a
      problem that is generic to potentially all AmigaDOS hard-disk
      installations.  Others have experienced similar problems I'm sure.
      The potential bandwidth of FFS is something to be proud of.
      I'm sure my problem here has to do with either PP software or
      my own ineptitude.  The robustness of FFS (and "OFS") should
      be of concern.  Effectively, permanently invalidating an entire
      70MB filesystem because of a few bad sectors just isn't cricket!
      Don't you agree?

My thanks to anybody who slogged through this note.  Any and all (polite)
suggestions will be appreciated.  -- John Saare (uunet!ibmsupt!saare)

dsking@pyr.gatech.EDU ( David King) (01/20/89)

In article <695@ibmpa.UUCP> saare@ibmpa.UUCP (John Saare) writes:
>  The hardware:
>    A500
>    Pac. Periph. SubSystem 500
>    Pac. Periph. Overdrive host adapter
>    Micron 2MB
>    Adaptec 4000A SCSI to ST-506 xlator.
>    2x70MB disks (ST-506)(Only 1 is relevant).
>
>  The events:
[describes formating system w/ MaxTransfer={high value} and Mask=0x3fff* ]
>    - The system runs but disk xfer rates are very slow e.g. 27K/sec ala
>      diskperf.  Nothing I do improves disk performance.
>    - Has anybody experienced throughput problems with the Overdrive/Adaptec
>      4000a combo?  Any solutions?

	I have had a problem similiar to this one.  Here's mine:
SYSTEM: Amiga B2000 4.1 revision
	Pacific Per. OverDrive controller
	Fuji 30 meg. SCSI disk

PROBLEMS: When I first brought up w3FFS{ I followed the instructions in the
	1.3 manual which did not have the Mask parameter.  Found heavy data
	corruption.  Called up Pacific Per. They sent me the latest version
	of the software.{ ~rI brought FFS up follwing that and had no
	problems.  I noticed that it was slow, so I hunted down DiskPerf.
	Had the exact same problem (27,502 kbytes on all buffers).
	However, I have had no other problems with bad blocks.  In fact, I used
	the slow FFS configuration for the past 3 months as I have tried
	various solutions.

So here's the question:  How many people have this problem?  What do we have
	in common? Here's my mountlist:
----
/* OverDrive Drive definition */

/* FUJI  FK308S-39R */

DH1:   Device = overdrive.device
   Unit = 2
   Flags = 9
   Surfaces = 4
   BlocksPerTrack = 26
   Reserved = 2
   Interleave = 0
   LowCyl = 1  ;  HighCyl = 614
   Buffers = 5
   BufMemType = 3
/* The following are the OverDrive's parameters for the FastFileSystem */
/* CAUTION:: Refer to the Documentation before attempting to use */
/*           the OverDrive with the FastFileSystem. */
/* Comment ON */
   GlobVec = -1
   FileSystem = l:FastFileSystem
   Mount = 0
   Mask = 0x3fffff
   Stacksize = 0x800
   MaxTransfer = 127000
/*   Comment OFF */
#

>My thanks to anybody who slogged through this note.  Any and all (polite)
>suggestions will be appreciated.  -- John Saare (uunet!ibmsupt!saare)

Thanks for listening,
	David

--
 David King
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dsking

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (01/20/89)

From article <7086@pyr.gatech.EDU>, by dsking@pyr.gatech.EDU ( David King):
> In article <695@ibmpa.UUCP> saare@ibmpa.UUCP (John Saare) writes:
>>    - Has anybody experienced throughput problems with the Overdrive/Adaptec
>>      4000a combo?  Any solutions?
>

> PROBLEMS: When I first brought up w3FFS{ I followed the instructions in the
> 	1.3 manual which did not have the Mask parameter.  Found heavy data
> 	corruption.  Called up Pacific Per. They sent me the latest version
> 	of the software.{ ~rI brought FFS up follwing that and had no
> 	problems.  I noticed that it was slow, so I hunted down DiskPerf.
> 	Had the exact same problem (27,502 kbytes on all buffers).
> 	However, I have had no other problems with bad blocks.  In fact, I used
> 	the slow FFS configuration for the past 3 months as I have tried
> 	various solutions.
>
> So here's the question:  How many people have this problem?  What do we have
> 	in common? Here's my mountlist:

Hooboy, does this sound familiar.

My setup:
b2000 rev 4.(3 or 4)
No extra memory
PP Overdrive with Seagate ST157N affixed.

I have run the PP low-level format with a 1:1 interlace specified.

> ----
> /* OverDrive Drive definition */
>
> /* FUJI  FK308S-39R */

[Part of mountlist deleted]

> /* The following are the OverDrive's parameters for the FastFileSystem */
> /* CAUTION:: Refer to the Documentation before attempting to use */
> /*           the OverDrive with the FastFileSystem. */
> /* Comment ON */
>    GlobVec = -1
>    FileSystem = l:FastFileSystem
>    Mount = 0
>    Mask = 0x3fffff
>    Stacksize = 0x800
>    MaxTransfer = 127000
> /*   Comment OFF */
> #

Have you tried removing the Mask parm?  That way the device can directly
access any memory.  A month or so ago I removed the Mask, and used a
maxtransfer rate of about 16K and got great speed.  Then I started
seeing gurus when certain programs loaded.  So I bumped the Maxtransfer
rate down, and down, and down, until the gurus stopped.  The number, you
ask.  512.  One lousy block.  The Overdrive software I have appears to
be unable to handle the high rates of the FFS.  I talked to PP once, but
haven't followed up.  Give it a try on your system, and see if your's
does any better.

Gary

--
Gary R Heffelfinger   -  Not speaking for Clemson University
disd@hubcap.clemson.edu       -- FIX the Holodeck --

>In article <695@ibmpa.UUCP> saare@ibmpa.UUCP (John Saare) writes:
>>    - The system runs but disk xfer rates are very slow e.g. 27K/sec ala
>>      diskperf.  Nothing I do improves disk performance.
        ^^^^^^^^
Just a side question: where do I get a version of DiskperfA that doesn't
leave locks around?  Any pointrs to FF disks or such are welcome.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

In article <695@ibmpa.UUCP> saare@ibmpa.UUCP (John Saare) writes:
>    A500
>    Pac. Periph. SubSystem 500
>    Pac. Periph. Overdrive host adapter
>    Micron 2MB
>    Adaptec 4000A SCSI to ST-506 xlator.
>    2x70MB disks (ST-506)(Only 1 is relevant).

>    - Using PP(Pac. Periph.) utilities of unknown vintage, but that are
>      at least 1.3 cognizant, I perform a low-level format of a drive
>      with an interleave of 2.  NOTE: There is no defect list available
>      for the drive.  The format completes with no errors reported.

	The Adaptec should find and map out any errors, though its scan is
less thorough than a manufacturers scan.  Why didn't the disks have bad
sector listing?  All st506 drives should have them!

>    - A mountlist entry is built for the drive.  I've heard that Interleave
>      should be set to 0 for a 1:1, 1 for a 2:1, etc....  I've tried
>      setting it to both n and n-1.  Results appear identical.  I've
>      tried deleting MaxTransfer and setting it to arbitrarily large
>      numbers e.g., 10000.  Because I'm using (was using) the Micron board, I've
>      set Mask to 7ffff to prevent DMA to fast RAM.  I've tried
>      removing the Micron board altogether (see above).

	Use 0 for interleave in the mountlist.  Maxtransfer should be set to
whatever PP suggests, since if it's too large your disk may be corrupted.
Maxtransfer is there largely because people wrote drivers that broke when you
gave them requests for more than 512 bytes at a time (note that maxtransfer is
in bytes, not sectors - the 1.3 docs are wrong).

>    - The file-system format completes with NO errors, i.e., "verifying"
>      never complains.  It is known that there are errors on this drive, but
>      not where.  It's annoying that NONE of these errors have been caught
>      up to this point.

	The adaptec should have caught them.  It did, as the verify produced no
errors.

>    - The system runs but disk xfer rates are very slow e.g. 27K/sec ala
>      diskperf.  Nothing I do improves disk performance.

	Try changing you interleave to 3.  Very low xfer rates are the sign
of too small an interleave.  Small maxtransfers can affect it also, but don't
use values higher than the controller manufacturer recommends.

>    - One day, while compiling (Manx 3.6a for the detail freaks) I get
>      a R/W error on volume "SlowBirds".  I select cancel and then
>      quarantine the whole directory the error occurred in, using "protect".

	No guarantees it is actually allocated to that directory.

>    - I cross my fingers and continue to use the system over a period of
>      several days.  The system is rebooted before each day's use.  Everything
>      seems fine.

	No revalidation was done.

>    - Upon reboot, the disk-validator is run and WILL NOT GET PAST the
>      allocated bad blocks, so I'm left with an invalid, read-only disk.

	No suprise.  It can't figure out what blocks are allocated and
what aren't.

>    - I wait until the Micron board returns (kudos to Micron for fast and
>      efficient service), re-install it and run DiskDoctor.  After ALL
>      this hoopla, the disk-validator is STILL unable to validate the
>      disk, running into the bad blocks and failing to procede.

	Have you tried Dave Haynie's latest DiskSalv?

>I've become disgusted and re"format"ted the whole mess.  I'm sure the problem
>will repeat itself.  So some questions (some are semi-rhetorical):

	If your drive is prone to errors, it probably will.

>    - It appears as though if a file-system is EVER formatted with ANY
>      bad blocks, you will be scr_w_d(I'll buy a vowel Vanna). Is this true?

	Amiga file handlers assume a perfect disk.  The _driver_ is supposed
to map out bad blocks, including those that occur during use.  Since the
Adaptec doesn't support the SCSI command REALLOCATE_BLOCK, the driver would
have to do the mapping itself.  It obviously doesn't.  This is a common
failing in disk devices on the amiga.

>    - The verification step of "format" appears to be mostly a waste
>      of cycles, doesn't it?

	It works fine.  You developed bad blocks later.

>      be of concern.  Effectively, permanently invalidating an entire
>      70MB filesystem because of a few bad sectors just isn't cricket!

	Personally, I use 10-15meg partitions.  Greatly reduces the chance of
any one problem hurting me, and makes backups easier (since several of the
partitions almost never change.)  If an FS doesn't validate, it's still
readable (you DO keep backups, don't you?)

	As for speed, try different interleaves and see what produces the best
speed.  Call PP, make sure your software is up to date, and get the right
value for maxtransfer.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (01/20/89)

John,

Since you have experienced your  problems WITHOUT the Micron memory board
(which is an ASDG design hence this message) I don't have to even mention
that your problem is not caused by the MICRON memory board.

What I would like  to  add  to your understanding is that your problem is
not the FFS, your Amiga, or your  hard  drive.  Have you tried talking to
Pacific Peripherals  recently?  They're good folks and I think they might
have some new information for you.
--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.

ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
UUCP:   {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

In <14808@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>In article <695@ibmpa.UUCP> saare@ibmpa.UUCP (John Saare) writes:
>>>    - The system runs but disk xfer rates are very slow e.g. 27K/sec ala
>>>      diskperf.  Nothing I do improves disk performance.
>        ^^^^^^^^
>Just a side question: where do I get a version of DiskperfA that doesn't
>leave locks around?  Any pointrs to FF disks or such are welcome.

Well, I haven't seen one, but the source to DiskPerfA is readily available.

On the other hand, Khalid Aldoseri has written a 'Locks' program that allows
you to remove locks that have been left by programs (ARC leaves them when
adding files to an archive as well). It's a loaded gun, so caution must be
excercised, but it does work, and works properly, if there is such a thing as
properly when speaking of messing with another program's legally obtained lock.

I'll post it to Bob as soon as I grab the latest version.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.