[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Zoo

dale@amiga.UUCP (Dale Luck) (10/05/88)

 I tried zoo out on the fish136 however it does not preserve the
protection bits. Especially the 's' bit which is new in 1.3
the 's' bit means the file is a script.  When extracting
files with zoo the ewrd bits are all set.

According to the doc's, Brian Waters did the port to the amiga.
Can the protect bit saving be fixed in the next release?
Dale

In article <2996@amiga.UUCP> dale@amiga.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
> I tried zoo out on the fish136 however it does not preserve the
>protection bits.  [ ... ]

	Stupid idea:  Why not, as a stopgap measure, include in the ZOO
archive an EXECUTE.ME file which contains a bunch of Protect commands...

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) (10/06/88)

In article <2996@amiga.UUCP>, dale@amiga.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:

>  I tried zoo out on the fish136 however it does not preserve the
> protection bits. Especially the 's' bit which is new in 1.3
> the 's' bit means the file is a script.  When extracting
> files with zoo the ewrd bits are all set.

If I remember correctly the version on fish136 is 1.71,  the preservation of
file attributes was added to 2.00 for the Unix version but not the Amiga version
as the docs I have indicate that the only command that supports them is delete
and that did not seem to warrent the code to preserve the bits.

> According to the doc's, Brian Waters did the port to the amiga.
> Can the protect bit saving be fixed in the next release?
> Dale

If it would be a useful feature it can be added to the next release.  The next
release is almost ready though (2.01).  It so far is only bug fixes... no
new features.  Any idea on how long it would be till I could get 1.3 to be
able to test the saving of the 's' bit and know which bit it is?  Any other
bits worth preserving?  Or would it be best not to try and use zoo's portable
attribute bit mask and just save and restore the raw mask.

As I am getting ready to release 2.01 shortly, now would be a good time to
send any suggestions,  bug reports etc. that anyone would like to see in
zoo on the Amiga.  Please mail them to me as I am not always able to keep up
with the Amiga news groups.

--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters
                                          uunet!---/

thad@cup.portal.com (10/10/88)

Besides the DELETE program/command being cognizant of file protection bits,
the COPY (and friends) are also indirectly affected (re: copying onto a file
that is read- and execute-only).

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (10/12/88)

In article <9920@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com writes:
> Besides the DELETE program/command being cognizant of file protection bits,
> the COPY (and friends) are also indirectly affected (re: copying onto a file
> that is read- and execute-only).

In addition to preserving the "s" (script) bit, another one that Zoo
(or any archiver program) should preserve is the "p" (pure) bit, which
is used by the Resident command.

It could be a problem, especially for inexperienced users, to figure out
if this bit should be set, if it gets "lost".  Granted, you don't *need*
to make anything resident, but it can certainly improve the perceived
performance of the system.

Actually, my suggestion to Brian is to preserve *all* the protection bits
in Zoo except for the "a" (archive) bit (on the presumption that when Zoo'd
archive in unZoo'd, the embedded files anr now "new" to the system, and
should be picked-up on the next backup run).

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

Kim (kim@amdahl.amdahl.com) Writes:
:In addition to preserving the "s" (script) bit, another one that Zoo
:(or any archiver program) should preserve is the "p" (pure) bit, which
:is used by the Resident command.

	I say, preserve them all!  Real simple... It's just a longword.

					-Matt

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/13/88)

In article <8810121728.AA14821@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU
 (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	I say, preserve them all!  Real simple... It's just a longword.

This could cause trouble in the future.

Most of the bits are currently undefined.

Suppose you store some files in a zoo archive, and zoo stores all the
attribute bits as it gets them from the OS, and one of them happens to
have a random value of 1.  Suppose a year from now, this bit has been
defined by Commodore to mean "this is a temporary file that should be
deleted as soon as it is closed".  When you unzoo the files then, zoo
will restore all the attribute bits, and all these files will get
deleted as soon as zoo finishes creating them.

Or, suppose zoo forces all the currently-undefined bits to zero before
storing them.  But suppose Commodore happens to later assign a strange
meaning to the value 0 for one of these bits.  You're in trouble
again.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) (10/13/88)

In article <8810121728.AA14821@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> : Kim (kim@amdahl.amdahl.com) Writes:
> :In addition to preserving the "s" (script) bit, another one that Zoo
> :(or any archiver program) should preserve is the "p" (pure) bit, which
> :is used by the Resident command.
>
> 	I say, preserve them all!  Real simple... It's just a longword.

The problem is the zoo file format does not at present reserve 32 bits for file
attributes.  Given the current format I can preserve 22 bits which should last
for at least a few more systems software upgrades.  If a way can be found to
preserve all 32 bits without breaking the ability to extract .zoo's created on
the Amiga on other machines I will impliment it.  If not I will at least save
all that are currently defined as of 1.3.

One bit that will be an excption to the above is the archive bit.  Almost
everyone that sent me mail said that it should not be saved, and those that
did not say to not save it, did not say they wanted it saved.

The other bit that is being debated is the 'h' hidden bit.  Some people are
telling me not to save it, as they do not want any automatically created hidden
files on thier system, and some are saying to save it, to avoid any possable
need for an execute.me file in a zoo archive.
--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters
                                          uunet!---/

jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) (10/13/88)

> Suppose you store some files in a zoo archive, and zoo stores all the
> attribute bits as it gets them from the OS, and one of them happens to
> have a random value of 1.  Suppose a year from now, this bit has been
> defined by Commodore to mean "this is a temporary file that should be
> deleted as soon as it is closed".  When you unzoo the files then, zoo

If I read the AmigaDOS docs correctly this is not a problem.  The bits are
undefined but have a forced value.  I forget if it is 0 or 1 though.  Then
in the future if the bit gets a meaning it is the reverse of the default that
activates the attribute.  This would make it safe to store all 32 bits of
a file.  And also prevents a future version of the op sys from misinterpriting
any files created prior to the release of the version that added the new bit.

--

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (10/15/88)

In article <4305@bsu-cs.UUCP> jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) writes:
>In article <8810121728.AA14821@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>
>>  I say, preserve them all!  Real simple... It's just a longword.
>
>The problem is the zoo file format does not at present reserve 32 bits for file
>attributes.  Given the current format I can preserve 22 bits which should last
>for at least a few more systems software upgrades.

I don't know anything about the zoo format, but if there are any spare (reserved)
longwords laying around, you can do what I did when I ported bru:

    On archive creation:

	Translate the existing defined amiga specific attribute bits to the
	portable attribute bits, and save these as the portable attributes.

	Save a "true copy" of the amiga specific attribute bits in one of
	the formerly "reserved for future use" longwords.

	Set the appropriate bit that specifies that this archive was
	created on an Amiga so the "true copy" is valid.

    On extraction:

	Check the bit that specifies that this archive was created on an
	Amiga.  If it was, restore the attributes from the "true copy"
	of the attributes, stored in the formerly reserved longword.

	If the archive was created on a non-Amiga machine, restore the
	attributes from the portable attributes, translating as necessary.
	Note some attributes may be lost, but that is life.

	Apply any user specified translations to the attributes of the
	file, such as explicitly setting or resetting the "file-archived"
	bit.

If the zoo format definition doesn't have any "reserved for future use"
fields, then I guess you are out of luck...

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/16/88)

In article <8810132228.AA01849@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU
(Matt Dillon) writes:
>	I think you are just confused a bit.-) These bits, all 32 of them,
>already EXIST and can even be modified.  They don't mean anything yet, but
>they are fully supported and are all set to the filesystem's idea of false.

Ok, I was confused a bit.  (I'm an MS-DOS user.)

Let's hope you all are right and it's safe to restore currently-unused
attribute bits to zero even in the future.
--

In article <135@fishpond.UUCP> fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>If the zoo format definition doesn't have any "reserved for future use"
>fields, then I guess you are out of luck...

Actually it does, and what's more, they are defined in such a way that
zoo archives containing these additional fields will remain downward
compatible in the future.

However, zoo archives have been steadily growing in size since 1986.
Each new field that is added enlarges the archive slightly.  This makes
a difference especially if you have an archive containing many small
files.

The main reason for avoiding defining too many additional fields is the
complexity of the archive (bigger archives) and the complexity of the
code (bigger executable zoo), less space left on your disk.  The MS-DOS
zoo version 1.0 was 29 kilobytes; version 2.01 is now up to 40 K and
still growing.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (01/21/89)

Does anyone out there know why zoo crashes when I try to unpack or
list the contents of zoo files from my hardrive? I can unpack stuff
fine on floppy, rad:, ram:, vd0:, but not supradrive! I am using a
supra 5.01a software, and the ffs is mounted on both of my 30 meg
partitions. I have a 512k hack, and 2 meg starboard. Zoo will guru
the machine every timeI try to unpack something. Sometimes it will
list the contents of a zoo file about halfway through, then crash.
Thanks for any ideas!

  Greg Garner
  501-442-4847
  gmg@hcx.uucp   USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (01/21/89)

In article <1672@cveg.uucp> gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) writes:

> Does anyone out there know why zoo crashes when I try to unpack or
> list the contents of zoo files from my hardrive? I can unpack stuff
> fine on floppy, rad:, ram:, vd0:, but not supradrive! I am using a
> supra 5.01a software, and the ffs is mounted on both of my 30 meg
> partitions.

>   Greg Garner
>   gmg@hcx.uucp   USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg

Do you have 1.3 and the FFS?  The problem you describe sounds like you
have a pre-release of 1.3's FFS which had a bug that showed up very
well when running ZOO.  Of course, there's no need to post that
information since ONLY REGISTERED DEVELOPERS were supposed to have 1.3
and they all read about that bug in AmigaMail; and if your problem is
caused by an out of date version of 1.3 then you are a developer and
already know this... right?

(Sorry for shouting... it also might be that you don't have your stack
set large enough... :-)

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

In <1672@cveg.uucp>, gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) writes:
>Does anyone out there know why zoo crashes when I try to unpack or
>list the contents of zoo files from my hardrive? I can unpack stuff
>fine on floppy, rad:, ram:, vd0:, but not supradrive! I am using a
>supra 5.01a software, and the ffs is mounted on both of my 30 meg
>partitions. I have a 512k hack, and 2 meg starboard. Zoo will guru
>the machine every timeI try to unpack something. Sometimes it will
>list the contents of a zoo file about halfway through, then crash.
>Thanks for any ideas!

Sounds like you might be running a prerelease version of FFS. Zoo had some
problems on early (beta/gamma/omega FFS's, but not on the release version.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (01/25/89)

In article <2169@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <1672@cveg.uucp>, gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) writes:
>>Does anyone out there know why zoo crashes when I try to unpack or
>>list the contents of zoo files from my hardrive?
>
>Sounds like you might be running a prerelease version of FFS. Zoo had some
>problems on early (beta/gamma/omega FFS's, but not on the release version.

Um... I'm running the release version of 1.3 and I have my stack set to
30000, and I occasionly get zoo seemingly just looping while trying to read
a zoo archive. It doesn't crash (I can break it), but it is annoying to
have to the zoo archive to ram: to look at it. I don't recall offhand what
else I have running in the background that may effect things.

	fred