[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Getting Intuition messages

u572555600ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000006073;0;195;141;) (01/26/89)

HELP!

	A friend and I are working on a game that needs to get mouseclicks,
and keyboard info (VANILLAKEYS) from intuition. Now, this isn't quite so simple,
because we'd really like to get this info without having screens that cover
the whole monitor screen. What we are doing is running a custom copper list
that we point at some bitmaps, and we would really like intuition to tell
us when and where the mouse was clicked on that picture. the only way we've
come up with so far is to open an intuition screen behind our main one,
and fake out intuition. this doesn't seem like a real good alternative since
it takes more memory, and is basically a flaky way to do it. We do have

a small screen/window opened, but intuition will only talk to it when the
mouse button has been clicked inside it...

	Is there any way to have intuition always send the little window
mousemove/keyboard events regardless of where the mouse was clicked, or
do we have to break down and write our own?

	If anyone can help on this, we'd sure appreciate it, since we are
much to lazy to write a hardware mouse port reader, and it seems like this is
something the Amiga OUGHT to be able to do...

I can be E-mailed at u572555600ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu
thanks in advance - Bruce Rogers

In article <3545@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> u572555600ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Bruce Rogers) writes:
>HELP!

	OK

>	A friend and I are working on a game that needs to get mouseclicks,
>and keyboard info (VANILLAKEYS) from intuition. Now, this isn't quite so simple,
>because we'd really like to get this info without having screens that cover
>the whole monitor screen. What we are doing is running a custom copper list
>	Is there any way to have intuition always send the little window
>mousemove/keyboard events regardless of where the mouse was clicked, or
>do we have to break down and write our own?

	What you want to do is to get on the input.device food chain ahead
of intuition, and eat the events.  Intuition will never see any activity,
unless you choose to let it.  Take a look at the input docs, it gives you just
what you want.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup