[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Windows/Fonts

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (01/19/89)

I'd like to know how to load up a font other than Topaz to use with  CLI
and  the Workbench. Is there a way to do it with AmigaDOS or do you need
a separate program?

Also,  how  do  I  get  my  window  to  open  up  to  full  screen  size
automatically?  My main Workbench work disk uses the interlace mode, but
the CLI window fills only half the screen.
--
    // /|  /| /|| /     /| Another  Julius Andrew Cisek
   // /_| / |/ ||| ___ /_| Amiga    jac423@leah.albany.edu

shimoda@infohh.rmi.de (Markus Schmidt) (01/20/89)

In article <1451@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) writes:
>I'd like to know how to load up a font other than Topaz to use with  CLI
>and  the Workbench. Is there a way to do it with AmigaDOS or do you need
>a separate program?
Workbench 1.3 contains the FF command.
FF new.font replaces the font named ew  new for topaz.

>Also,  how  do  I  get  my  window  to  open  up  to  full  screen  size
>automatically?  My main Workbench work disk uses the interlace mode, but
>the CLI window fills only half the screen.
NewZap your NEWCLI-Command. Search for CON:... and replace
the size of the window by your preferred value. Of course
the -CLI will not open on a normal workbench after the patch.

.-----------------------------------------------------------------.
|  shimoda@rmi.de       `---'   The last remaining adventure      |
|  shimoda@gopnbg.UUCP  |O o|   since there are no more tigers:   |
|                       ==Y==   Doublebuffered async. I/O       _ |
|----------------------- `U' ------------------------------  _ // |
|  Good terminalpackages     begin with A: AmigaCall, A-Ta.. \//  |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------'

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (01/20/89)

In Message <1451@leah.Albany.Edu>, jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) writes:

>I'd like to know how to load up a font other than Topaz to use with  CLI
>and  the Workbench. Is there a way to do it with AmigaDOS or do you need
>a separate program?

  You can use the FF (FastFonts) program supplied with 1.3
  Try:
                FF >nil: amiga.font

   Of course you must replace "amiga.font" with the font of your choice.

>Also,  how  do  I  get  my  window  to  open  up  to  full  screen  size
>automatically?  My main Workbench work disk uses the interlace mode, but
>the CLI window fills only half the screen.

  Without editing KickStart you can't change the default CLI. But I find
  that I don't want to use the startup CLI because its not a shell. So
  what I do is:
                 shell from sys:s/vax con:0/44/670/181/

   sys:s/vax is a script file executed by my shell to set aliases, ect.

   -oh yea- I have my workbench morerowed 30x30 so don't use my con: sizes.

   Sneakers

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (01/21/89)

In article <5960.AA5960@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>  You can use the FF (FastFonts) program supplied with 1.3
>  Try:
>                FF >nil: amiga.font
ain't so, ain't so. I have tried this. I never get an error message,
but when i open a new window i get the good ol' topaz. This program
really appears to have a problem, what i don't know.
This is not one of the great achievements of 1.3 ...
BTW, where do i get pearl.font? I oughtta try that one ...
ron

shimoda@infohh.rmi.de (Markus Schmidt) (01/22/89)

In article <5146@super.ORG> rminnich@metropolis.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>>                FF >nil: amiga.font
>ain't so, ain't so. I have tried this. I never get an error message,

.-----------------------------------------------------------------.
|  shimoda@rmi.de       `---'   The last remaining adventure      |
|  shimoda@gopnbg.UUCP  |O o|   since there are no more tigers:   |
|                       ==Y==   Doublebuffered async. I/O       _ |
|----------------------- `U' ------------------------------  _ // |
|  Good terminalpackages     begin with A: AmigaCall, A-Ta.. \//  |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------'
Are you sure you would get an error message at all?
ff >NIL:  sends your errormessage to nowhere! What does
ff amiga.font
say?

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (01/23/89)

In Message <5146@super.ORG>, rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes

>In article <5960.AA5960@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>  You can use the FF (FastFonts) program supplied with 1.3
>>  Try:
>>                FF >nil: amiga.font
>ain't so, ain't so. I have tried this. I never get an error message,
>but when i open a new window i get the good ol' topaz. This program
>really appears to have a problem, what i don't know.
>This is not one of the great achievements of 1.3 ...

  Sorry to shoot you down, but I just tried this with a "STOCK" CBM 1.3 (RELEASE)
  workbench. And it worked perfectly! (#1) if your using the ">nil:" you wont
  see any messages (error or not) because their redirected. (#2) make sure your
  Amiga can find the font your trying to use - check the 'assign' of FONTS: and
  also make sure that font actually works.

>BTW, where do i get pearl.font? I oughtta try that one ...

  Theres one on Fish #61 ;-)

  Sneakers

--

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (01/24/89)

shimoda@infohh.rmi.de (Markus Schmidt) writes:
> >Also,  how  do  I  get  my  window  to  open  up  to  full  screen  size
> >automatically?  My main Workbench work disk uses the interlace mode, but
> >the CLI window fills only half the screen.
> NewZap your NEWCLI-Command. Search for CON:... and replace
> the size of the window by your preferred value. Of course
> the -CLI will not open on a normal workbench after the patch.

Come on, people, isn't there a better way of doing this?  Could
Commodore provide an option for the 1.4 NewCLI that automatically
opens the CLI window to full Workbench screen size, whatever that size
may be?

I thought patching executables went out with CP/M, but with this and
the number of Kickstart hacks popping up recently I guess I am wrong.

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
INET:   mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu / BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

"I'm very sorry, Master, but that WAS the backup system" -- Slave

kent@swrinde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (01/24/89)

In article <kXqpXgy00VsfM0XYlH@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>shimoda@infohh.rmi.de (Markus Schmidt) writes:
>> >Also,  how  do  I  get  my  window  to  open  up  to  full  screen  size
>> >automatically?  My main Workbench work disk uses the interlace mode, but
>> >the CLI window fills only half the screen.
>> NewZap your NEWCLI-Command. Search for CON:... and replace
>> the size of the window by your preferred value. Of course
>> the -CLI will not open on a normal workbench after the patch.
>>

>Come on, people, isn't there a better way of doing this?

If you happen to be using Cshell V3.01A, you can use the built-in
"window -l" to change the window to the maximum size.

Otherwise, you can use a PD program called "winsize" to change the
window to just about any size or position you want.

Unfortunately, I forgot where I got it (I think it came with VScreen).

       Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute
{cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (01/24/89)

In article <5992.AA5992@heimat>, sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
> In Message <5146@super.ORG>, rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes
> >
> >In article <5960.AA5960@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
> >>  You can use the FF (FastFonts) program supplied with 1.3
> >>  Try:
> >>                FF >nil: amiga.font
> >ain't so, ain't so. I have tried this. I never get an error message,
>
>   Sorry to shoot you down, but I just tried this with a "STOCK" CBM 1.3 (RELEASE)
>   workbench. And it worked perfectly! (#1) if your using the ">nil:" you wont
>   see any messages (error or not) because their redirected. (#2) make sure your
>   Amiga can find the font your trying to use - check the 'assign' of FONTS: and
>   also make sure that font actually works.

Well Dan, when I was first setting up the 1.3 release in my environment,
I tried using FF on a slightly modified pearl font as I have mentioned
before.  FF didn't like it.

So, I went to the trouble to "fix" the font, and finally did get FF to
load it when I typed in the command from the CLI.

Put the command in the s-s, and .... didn't work (this was the STOCK s-s,
except for the font name, and there were no assign/path/etc. dependencies).

For some reason, I decided to try moving the FF command out of the s-s, and
into the "StartupII" file (I think that was the name).

Worked fine as the 1st command in StartupII.  Didn't work when I moved
it down further in StartupII.  Pretty busted code, if you ask me.

That was the point that I decided to go back to using BlitzFonts, with
which I've never had any problems.

Besides, in testing FastFonts out ages ago, I found that BlitzFonts was
faster than FastFonts, though only marginally so.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (01/26/89)

In article <481@infohh.rmi.de> shimoda@infohh.rmi.de (Markus Schmidt) writes:
>ff >NIL:  sends your errormessage to nowhere! What does
>ff amiga.font
Zip.
And, in addition, it doesn't do anything.
I am going to try it ONE MORE TIME with a pearl.font that som
good guy sent me.
ron

shimoda@infohh.rmi.de (Markus Schmidt) (01/27/89)

In article <kXqpXgy00VsfM0XYlH@andrew.cmu.edu) mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
)shimoda@infohh.rmi.de (Markus Schmidt) writes:
)> >Also,  how  do  I  get  my  window  to  open  up  to  full  screen  size
)> >automatically?  My main Workbench work disk uses the interlace mode, but
)> >the CLI window fills only half the screen.
)> NewZap your NEWCLI-Command. Search for CON:... and replace
)> the size of the window by your preferred value. Of course
)> the -CLI will not open on a normal workbench after the patch.
)>
)
)Come on, people, isn't there a better way of doing this?  Could
)Commodore provide an option for the 1.4 NewCLI that automatically
)opens the CLI window to full Workbench screen size, whatever that size
)may be?
Of Course you cold do *anything* if you have unlimited programming-
power. I think they consider it "less important".

)
)I thought patching executables went out with CP/M, but with this and
)the number of Kickstart hacks popping up recently I guess I am wrong.
Patching will go on, as long as patching-utilities are available.
Since programmers dont give you what you want all the time you just
take what you can get.

)