[comp.sys.amiga.tech] MMU in 2620/Macintosh emulation

ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (01/26/89)

I was wondering - does the MMU in the 2620 do address remapping,
or just protection?  If the former, could it be used to give a nice
contiguous address space to a Macintosh emulator like Readysoft's -
thus allowing the mac emulator to coexist with Amiga tasks?  (I
assume that the main reason it currently doesn't is that the Mac
plays with low memory, needs contiguous memory, etc.)

(By the way, has anyone who got on Readysoft's mailing list about
the emulator actually received anything?)

	-Ranjit

"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	mailrus!eecae!netnews!eniac!...
  Giant SDI lasers burn 1,000 points of light in Willie Horton - Dave Barry

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (01/27/89)

in article <7338@netnews.upenn.edu>, ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) says:
> Beverage: Dr. Pepper

> I was wondering - does the MMU in the 2620 do address remapping,
> or just protection?

The 68851 does both translation and protection.

> If the former, could it be used to give a nice contiguous address space to
> a Macintosh emulator like Readysoft's

I suspect it could.  Of course, ReadySoft's hostile port logic would have to
look for an MMU on a 32 bit system, and adjust accordingly.  And assume that
the Mac software isn't trying to access the MMU otherwise.  Since all the
Mac OS stuff runs in Supervisor mode, there's no way to trap MMU instructions
and add them to your MMU table.  Though far as I know, the MMU doesn't become
an issue with the Mac until you get to the 256K ROMs.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (01/27/89)

In article <5819@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>Since all the
>Mac OS stuff runs in Supervisor mode, there's no way to trap MMU instructions

Sure there is, that's what all the 68020 virtual machine support is for.
It's for that very reason that the mov sr,ea was made a privileged
instruction, so that you could run OSes in user mode without their knowing
it.  It would cause a slight performance decrease, since every privileged
instruction in the Mac OS would have to be emulated.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com