[comp.sys.amiga.tech] FastFonts

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (01/28/89)

In article <3281@amiga.UUCP>, jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
> )>So, I went to the trouble to "fix" the font, and finally did get FF to
> )>load it when I typed in the command from the CLI.
> )
> ) Ok, so FF does work as I posted.
> )
> )>Put the command in the s-s, and .... didn't work (this was the STOCK s-s,
> )>except for the font name, and there were no assign/path/etc. dependencies).
>
> I know, I know!
>
> FF parses its command parameters real simply: if you have
> a comment on the same line, it will screw up parsing the font name.
>
> Try putting the FF command on a line by itself, with no trailing blanks,
> in your Startup-sequence.  That might do it.

Hmmmmm ... that could well be it.  My recollection is a little fuzzy,
as I was doing this right after 1.3 was released, but I think I did
have a comment on the line.  Have to check on this, as I *suspect* that
BlitzFonts will bust under 1.4 ...

So lesee ... I now know of at least 3 "anomalous" situations under 1.3:

  1 - the FF anomaly described above

  2 - case sensitivity in some (all ?) of the Mountlist entries

  3 - newcon/newshell "from" startup files containing embedded tab chars
      will bust the alias command

Any other ones known that people should guard against?

Thanks jimm!

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (01/29/89)

With all this discussion about FF not working on this or that font I am getting
the feeling the message Aaron Avery posted about a coding error in FF and it's
solution might not have made it off of Madnix.

In short, FF (every version ever released I believe) contains a bug in which
the font flag bits are incorrectly tested to see if a given font is ok to use.
The net effect is that a lot of fonts which are ok to use cannot be used.

I will email Aaron to repost his message (with binary fix).

It is interesting to see how far and how long FF has been distributed (as
an independent commercial product, as a giveaway commercial product and as
a Commodore supported item) considering that it doesn't work with MOST fonts
even though it should. It gives one pause for wonder...

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.

ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
UUCP:   {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (01/30/89)

In article <430@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:

>In short, FF (every version ever released I believe) contains a bug in which
>the font flag bits are incorrectly tested to see if a given font is ok to use.
>The net effect is that a lot of fonts which are ok to use cannot be used.

You might want to try using FED on some fonts.  I have no idea if this
works in general.  My specific case was:

I wanted to use clean.font that comes with SONIX.  I copied clean.font and
the clean directory and its contents to FONTS:  I then ran ff clean.font

It said that the font was not fixed-width.  I then ran FED on the font.
It was most certainly fixed-width, but I saved the font back again.
When I ran FF again, it worked.

I don't know if loading and then saving a font with FED will work in general,
though you might want to try.

ARPA:    rlcarr@athena.mit.edu
UUCP:    {wherever}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!rlcarr
BITNET:  rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@MITVMA.mit.edu

* Rich Carreiro                 "MIT isn't Hell.  It's where you go when      *
* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu          you've been bad in Hell." - Anon.            *