[comp.sys.amiga.tech] XWindows

shaulp@pnet02.cts.com (Shaul Peleg) (02/07/89)

 Latley I have been reading stuff about XWindows and GfxBase (Dale Luck!!)
coming out with it.  I have one simple question - now - coming from a non-unix
or anything outside of AmigaDos or AppleDos (yech..but that was a while ago!)
I think I have the right (or maybe I don't):
                What is it?
                                        -Shaul
The above is probably stupid,ridiculous, and boring - I do not take any
 responsibility for it.
  The Unnamed Software Company,INC.

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!shaulp
INET: shaulp@pnet02.cts.com

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (02/08/89)

In article <11716@gryphon.COM> shaulp@pnet02.cts.com (Shaul Peleg) writes:

> Latley I have been reading stuff about XWindows and GfxBase (Dale Luck!!)
>coming out with it.  I have one simple question - now - coming from a non-unix
>or anything outside of AmigaDos or AppleDos (yech..but that was a while ago!)
>I think I have the right (or maybe I don't):
>                What is it?

	   The X Window System is standard graphics library that has the
	added capability of being able to work over a network. You can
	compile and run an X-application on a remote machine like a
	VAX or a Cray yet have all the graphics/menus/interaction
	appear on your local machine, such as an Amiga with an ethernet
	board.
	   The Xlib interface provides a mechanism for applications to
	produce graphics and receive input from users. The window manager
	is not part of the X System itself and is actually a seperate
	program. The interface for the window manager is public and allows
	several varieties of window managers to be created. The user can
	then choose which type of policy they want to see on their display.
	   There are several toolkits being written that provide many
	useful tools for writing applications. One of these are 'widgets'
	which are very similar to Intuitions gadgets in philosophy.
	   The X Window System is supported by most computer manufacturers.
	A partial list includes DEC, SUN, HP, IBM, CRAY, MIPS, SEQUENT,
	ARDENT, GFXBASE(amiga), APPLE, the list goes on.
	   There has been a consortium formed to support and extend the
	X Window System. The lead is taken by people at MIT. Many of the
	above mentioned manufacturers are members or affiliate members
	such as GfxBase.
--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

shaulp@pnet02.cts.com (Shaul Peleg) (02/09/89)

 Ok, I now have it straight. Thanks Mr.Luck.

                                                                -=Shaul=-
                                                             (changes
                                                                     everyday)