[comp.sys.amiga.tech] getcd

lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) (02/08/89)

When getcd() or getcwd() is run on the directory ram:; it returns ":".
Is this normal behaviour for those routines?  Is that a characteristic of
the ram:.  It works ok on everything else.

Is there a getcd() replacement that will return "ram:", or should I just patch
around my program.  1.2.1 on a B2000; lattice 4.01.
--
	"What is a DJ if he can't scratch?"  - Uncle Jamms Army
The views expressed are those of the author, and not of Visual Edge, nor Usenet.

In article <2766@vedge.UUCP> lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) writes:
>When getcd() or getcwd() is run on the directory ram:; it returns ":".
>Is this normal behaviour for those routines?  Is that a characteristic of
>the ram:.  It works ok on everything else.

This was a bug in the ram-handler as I recall. I wrote a version of
getcwd() that would return RAM: but believe it was made obsolete by
the 1.3 ram handler.

--Chuck McManis

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (02/10/89)

In article <2766@vedge.UUCP> lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) writes:
>When getcd() or getcwd() is run on the directory ram:; it returns ":".
>Is this normal behaviour for those routines?  Is that a characteristic of
>the ram:.  It works ok on everything else.

its a characteristic (ie a bug) of the old ram-handler.  Under 1.3, the
ram-handler has a real volume node, and you'll get the name
RAM DISK  (unless of course you've relabeled your ram: disk)

The name RAM DISK was carefully chosen to break programs that couldn't
deal with spaces in volume names :-)

So upgrade to 1.3 and your problems will be solved.  I hope.
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"