[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SetCPU and the MMU

sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) (02/07/89)

I recently obtained SetCPU v1.4.  My thanks to Dave Haynie for the code to
map the ROM into fast RAM using the MMU.  I finally understand why my own
attemps to use the MMU were failing.  However (there is always a "however",
isn't there?), when I use the FASTROM option I get some strange results.
Every 20 to 30 keystrokes, the last key will be repeated 10 to 15 times.
Can anyone tell me why this is?  Is there any way to fix it?  Other than that
everthing seems to work.  Some things are faster.  Most are not.  I have a
rev 4.2 B2000 with an A2620.  Thanks.

Stephe
{ucbvax,pacbell,hplabs}!well!sjm     or     well!sjm@lll-winken.arpa
"You heard the weirdo man.  What is truth?"

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (02/08/89)

In article <10642@well.UUCP> sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) writes:
)
)I recently obtained SetCPU v1.4.  My thanks to Dave Haynie for the code to
)map the ROM into fast RAM using the MMU.  I finally understand why my own
)attemps to use the MMU were failing.  However (there is always a "however",
)isn't there?), when I use the FASTROM option I get some strange results.
)Every 20 to 30 keystrokes, the last key will be repeated 10 to 15 times.
)Can anyone tell me why this is?  Is there any way to fix it?  Other than that
)everthing seems to work.  Some things are faster.  Most are not.  I have a
)rev 4.2 B2000 with an A2620.  Thanks.

You have a Cherry keyboard, right?  (The one with the function keys
the same size as the escape key.)

There is a processor speed dependency in the keyboard interrupt handler,
when in fast ram it runs too fast.  Oops.

There are two patches available on bix.  One, by Kodiak, replaces the keyboard
interrupt handler with a copy in chip memory, which runs slower.  We
will use this setup as a test for a proper fix to the problem (testing it in
fast ram, of course).

Jez Sans, famed game guy, wrote a much smaller patch which hacks in a jump to
a piece of code with a delay in it.  Nice and dirty, but works fine and is smaller.

I don't know how you can get these other than on BIX or from whomever you
got SetCPU in the first place.  Since now everyone with an MMU will want
both now that you mention SetCPU, perhaps you should be the one to make them
available. ;^)

	jimm
--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"Like you said when we crawled down
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          from the trees: We're in transition."

sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) (02/09/89)

In article <3314@amiga.UUCP> jimm@cloyd.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
(about patches for cherry keyboards and SetCPU with the FASTROM option)
|got SetCPU in the first place.  Since now everyone with an MMU will want
|both now that you mention SetCPU, perhaps you should be the one to make them
|available. ;^)
|
|	jimm
|--
|Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"Like you said when we crawled down
|{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          from the trees: We're in transition."
|							- Gang of Four
|Opinions are my own.  Comments are not to be taken as Commodore official policy

Maybe someone who actually has access to BIX could post the patches to
comp.sys.amiga.(sources|binaries). :-)

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (02/10/89)

in article <10657@well.UUCP>, sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) says:

> Maybe someone who actually has access to BIX could post the patches to
> comp.sys.amiga.(sources|binaries). :-)

I sent SetCPU V1.4 (the one with the FastROM stuff) to the (sources|binaries)
group just this week.  Of course, SetCPU V1.3 had just made it, and is of
course now 100% obseleted by V1.4.  Thanks to Jez San, I expect to have a
keyboard patch incorporated into SetCPU V1.5, though I can't promise just when
it'll be available.  Hopefully either Cherry3 or KeyHack (Jez's program) will
make it here soon -- had I either at hand, I'd post them tonight.

> Stephe
> {ucbvax,pacbell,hplabs}!well!sjm     or     well!sjm@lll-winken.arpa
> "You heard the weirdo man.  What is truth?"

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (02/10/89)

In article <3314@amiga.UUCP> jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:

> There is a processor speed dependency in the keyboard interrupt handler,
> when in fast ram it runs too fast.  Oops.

>There are two patches available on bix.
[ deleted ]

> Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"Like you said when we

Will these patches be part of 1.4 distribution?  I have one of those
keyboards but it would be nice if 1.4 took care of this problem.  (I
know it wouldn't work for some things that go straight to the hardware
but it will help in a lot of other places)

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (02/11/89)

)> There is a processor speed dependency in the keyboard interrupt handler,
)> when in fast ram it runs too fast.  Oops.
)
)>There are two patches available on bix.
)
)Will these patches be part of 1.4 distribution?
) Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net

The patches won't, but the bug fix will ;^).

As for going directly to the hardware, the Cherry keyboards meet spec, but
they don't work with some "empirically derived" code (such as our own, it
would seem).

	jimm