[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Manx vs. Lattice: the eternal story

cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (02/12/89)

What is the latest release of Aztec C for the Amiga?  Have any major
improvements been made since 3.6a?  This version guru's when I try to
compile certain large files with source debugging turned on.

In Aztec C, what must one do to fopen(filename, "wb")?  The documentation
implies that this is the default condition, but I do not trust it.

Why am I so interested in Aztec C when I have a brand new copy of
Lattice C 5.0 on my desk?  It CXERRs and dies on certain modules,
and its ANSI preprocessing has bugs.

I am amazed at how Amiga people are able to write wonderful programs
despite these products, and am wondering if anyone knows of a better
C compiler for the Amiga.

Please respond via email.  Is anyone from Lattice or Manx in this group?
--
--

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (02/13/89)

In article <9180@megaron.arizona.edu>, cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:
> In Aztec C, what must one do to fopen(filename, "wb")?  The documentation
> implies that this is the default condition, but I do not trust it.

There is no need for "wb" on the Amiga. AmigaDOS files look just like UNIX
files... they're stream-LF files. MS-DOS files aren't, and the C runtime
library has a kludge in it to make them look right unless you specify "b"
mode.

So, there's no "binary" mode on the Amiga.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`