[net.micro] On UUCP <-> ARPA Mail Traffic

W8SDZ@Mit-Mc (12/23/82)

From:  Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@Mit-Mc>

Date: 20 Dec 82 17:12:39-EST (Mon)
From: Michael Muuss <mike at BRL>
To:   pourne, anton.Hcr at BRL, info-cpm at BRL
cc:   Gurus at BRL
Re:   On UUCP <-> ARPA Mail Traffic

"The ARPANET is an operational DoD network and is not intended to
compete with comparable commercial service.  Accordingly, before
ARPANET service is provided to any non-U.S. Government activity, it
must be determined that adequate comercial service is not available."

"The ARPANET is intended to be used solely for the conduct of or in
support of official U.S. Government business.  ...use of the ARPANET
must not violate any applicable privacy laws."  [pg. 12, ARPANET
Directory]

"If it is possible to gain access to the ARPANET from another network
(gateway) ..., it is the respnosibility of that host to provide
software protection which will permit only authorized ARPANET users to
access the network."  [pg 18, ARPANET Directory]

The only reason we are able to provide any kind of relaying service AT
ALL is because of a ambiuity of wording in the regulations governing
the use of the ArpaNet.  Basically, they say that outside users can
not ORIGINATE traffic on the net, but say nothing about outsiders
getting COPIES of things sent on the net.  So, our mail gateway
software implements this policy, with one special case.  It works like
this:

*) Mail sent from ARPANET to any of our other networks is passed.

*) Mail sent from any other network to ARPANET is rejected, with
explanation.

*) Mail sent from any other network to a MAIL FORWARDER on our machine
is
    DELIVERED, regardless as to where it forwards to.  Hence, mailing
		...!brl-bmd!info-cpm@mit-ai
    is rejected, as it asks for explicit routing to ARPANET, where as
		...!brl-bmd!info-cpm
    is DELIVERED, because we automatically forward mail for that list.

Believe me, I wish this was not so, but we have to play by the rules.
Otherwise...  "If corrective action is not taken in a reasonable time,
DCA reserves the right to disconnect the host/terminal from the
network." [pg 14, ARPANET Directory]

If you wish to further discuss this issue, the proper forum is in the
TCP-IP Digest ("The InterNet Digest").  It is fed into NETNEWS as
net.tcp-ip; ArpaNet viewers may request direct mailing by sending a
request to
	TCP-IP-REQUEST @ BRL

Letters for publication in the digest should be sent to
	TCP-IP @ BRL

			Network Liaison and Host Administrator of
			BRL-BMD,
			 -Mike Muuss

PS:  Attached is an automatic rejection notice, and a letter on this subject.

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date:     18 Dec 1982 22:13-EST (Sat)
From:     Memo Service (MMDF) <mmdf@BRL-BMD>
To:       anton@hcr
Cc:       Gurus@Brl-Bmd
Subject:  Illegal Address (pourne@mit-mc)
Via:  (decvax); 18 Dec 82 22:14-EST

	Your letter has been intercepted trying to access
a restricted access host (e.g. an ARPANET host).  A copy of your
letter has been sent to the system administrators. The text of your
letter follows.