[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 128K x 16 EPROM for Kickstart hacking?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (02/17/89)

Is there a commercial 128 Kbit x 16 EPROM compatible with the A2000
Kickstart ROM?

I'd like to do a little Kickstart hacking (NoKlickStart and KickFont for
example), but I've been unable to find a suitable EPROM to experiment
with.

If anyone is aware of such a beast I'd appreciate any info on where to
locate it, and an approximate price.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (02/18/89)

In article <1221@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>Is there a commercial 128 Kbit x 16 EPROM compatible with the A2000
>Kickstart ROM?
>
>I'd like to do a little Kickstart hacking (NoKlickStart and KickFont for
>example), but I've been unable to find a suitable EPROM to experiment
>with.

It should be relatively easy for a small PC board to be laid out, with a
40-pin header in the bottom, and 4 28-pin sockets on the top side, for taking
27512's (or maybe even 2 271024's?)  Although I seem to remember reading
about some nnn x 16 EPROMs that were being released a while back, I'm certain
that they were 32K words, or maybe 64K at the largest...
--
   - Mike Shawaluk
     ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (02/19/89)

In article <1221@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
<
<Is there a commercial 128 Kbit x 16 EPROM compatible with the A2000
<Kickstart ROM?
<
<I'd like to do a little Kickstart hacking (NoKlickStart and KickFont for
<example), but I've been unable to find a suitable EPROM to experiment
<with.
<
<If anyone is aware of such a beast I'd appreciate any info on where to
<locate it, and an approximate price.

I have seen kit in German papers with 4 EPROMS. They sell ready-made
with Virus Protectors, they have kits with program to make your own
programming and they also sell prommers. I can dig further into this
if it's interesting... I think the price was $25 without EPROMS, $50
for a ready-made with the virus hunter.

Tommy P.

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (02/20/89)

In article <403@lakesys.UUCP>, mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
> In article <1221@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>
>>Is there a commercial 128 Kbit x 16 EPROM compatible with the A2000
>>Kickstart ROM?
>>
>>I'd like to do a little Kickstart hacking (NoKlickStart and KickFont for
>>example), but I've been unable to find a suitable EPROM to experiment
>>with.
>
> It should be relatively easy for a small PC board to be laid out, with a
> 40-pin header in the bottom, and 4 28-pin sockets on the top side, for taking
> 27512's (or maybe even 2 271024's?)  Although I seem to remember reading
> about some nnn x 16 EPROMs that were being released a while back, I'm certain
> that they were 32K words, or maybe 64K at the largest...
> --
>    - Mike Shawaluk
>      ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes

What speed would be required of the Eproms?

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh