[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Roots II

CB@frocky.dec.com (Christian Balzer) (02/17/89)

Oh well, in a world much brighter and better than this I'll hopefully
be able to give examples that are easily understood.

Fabbian Dufoe wrote:
>     Yep.  Don't do anything.  Intuition automatically activates the
>previously active window when you close one.  You can' get any easier than
>that, can you?

That's in fact easy and I knew that (really!:-), however Intuition will
NOT activate the previously active window, BUT the window the
application was started from, ie, the CLI it was RUN'ed from or the WB
backdrop window (this is also true when the original CLI is gone by the
time the application exits).
And I wasn't talking about closing the window...

Peter da Silva won't let me activate other people's windows, but what
do I care what married folks tell me. :-)
And his hint won't work for my application, too.

So I'll re-phrase my question and give a real life example:

How can an iconified/hotkey application determine which window was
active before it was activated (NOT STARTED!) ?

Take a look at all the -X utilities by Steve Tibbet, NAG, etc.
Wouldn't it be nice if you did your thing with those applications and
when you're finished (for now), that they could activate your previously
active window after shrinking/iconifiecation(sp?)/dissolving?

As far as I can see it, there is currently no (OS supported) way to
do it, and that's why these programs don't support this user friendly
method.

So my proposal for such a mechanism in 1.4 still stands...

- <CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > UUCP: ...!decwrl!frambo.dec.com!cb OR cb@frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  CIS : 71001,210 (be brief!) | Phone: +49 6150 4151 (CET!)
------------ Mail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.

[ Amiga.  It's not just a machine, it's a religion.  Unfortunately. ]

	In previous articles, people have been kvetching about the voodoo
involved in discovering which Window gets reactivated when a Window is
closed.

	Suggestion/Proposal:  When a Window is closed, the Window that is
underneath the mouse pointer, wherever that is, gets activated.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (02/21/89)

ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>         In previous articles, people have been kvetching about the voodoo
> involved in discovering which Window gets reactivated when a Window is
> closed.
>
>         Suggestion/Proposal:  When a Window is closed, the Window that is
> underneath the mouse pointer, wherever that is, gets activated.

I don't think that's a good idea; the window under the mouse when a
window get closed is usually pretty random (since usually, the user
moves the mouse to close the window).  I think a stack order is
better-- the previous window activated gets selected when a window
gets closed.

-Miles

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/21/89)

In article <10781@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>	Suggestion/Proposal:  When a Window is closed, the Window that is
>underneath the mouse pointer, wherever that is, gets activated.

Makes sense to me.  After all, this is what happens if you have dmouse
or a similar sunmouse-like utility running.  And I gather those are
pretty popular.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

jafo@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Sean Reifschneider) (02/21/89)

>	Suggestion/Proposal:  When a Window is closed, the Window that is
>underneath the mouse pointer, wherever that is, gets activated.

If you use DMouse/QMouse... that does happen.  I tend to prefer that the next
window I want to use gets activated.  <sigh>

Sean

pds@quintus.uucp (Peter Schachte) (02/22/89)

In article <10781@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>	Suggestion/Proposal:  When a Window is closed, the Window that is
>underneath the mouse pointer, wherever that is, gets activated.

Oh, no; please not that.  The Amiga almost does the right thing now.
The best scheme I've used (including the sunview window-under-the-mouse-
is-active scheme) is this:  when the active window closes, the
previously active window is made active again.  Sort of like a stack.

I realize that this is a matter of opinion, but I don't see a reason for
this change.  I do see a reason for not doing it:  the behavior on
closing a window would then be a function of mouse position, which
doesn't really have anything to do with activation.  It'll be confusing
to users who have a requester pop up, type (not mouse) something to
dismiss it, and find themselves typing somewhere unexpected.  And
what'll they do to correct it?  Why, they'll move the mouse into the
window they want to type into and continue typing.  In the wrong window.

-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp
..!sun!quintus!pds

jafo@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Sean Reifschneider) (02/22/89)

How about if we make everyone happy, and make it a preference.  Although if
you use any of those mouse utilities, you're going to get the window under
the pointer, no matter how it is set up.

Sean

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/23/89)

Suggestion/Proposal:  When you click a window to back and it is not the active
window, the window does not become the active window.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "Everyone has a purpose in life.  Perhaps yours is
-- karl@sugar.uu.net |  watching television."  -- David Letterman

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (02/24/89)

jafo@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Sean Reifschneider) writes:
> >       Suggestion/Proposal:  When a Window is closed, the Window that is
> >underneath the mouse pointer, wherever that is, gets activated.
>
> If you use DMouse/QMouse... that does happen.  I tend to prefer that the next
> window I want to use gets activated.  <sigh>
>
> Sean

And the user who wants such behavior should run DMouse/QMouse instead
of asking that Intuition be changed.  There are times when having the
last active window get reactivated is what you want to have happen,
and there are times when you want the window under the pointer active.
Changing Intuition would make window-stacking next to impossible and
ruin user continuity with previous system releases.

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
INET:   mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu / BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

	"You just don't get off a spaceship and run." --Avon