[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Modems & Elite & AT slots & mail order

sanders@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert M Sanders) (03/02/89)

A few questions, at least one of which I know has been asked before....

Modems    --  I looking for a good modem, preferably 2400 baud.  I've heard
              some good things about the Supra 2400.  I'd also like it to
              be an internal modem, if possible.

Elite     --  A couple of months ago I saw something about Elite on the net.
              This was one of my favorite games on my old Apple II+.  Is it
              out for the Amiga?  If so, how much and where can I get it?

AT slots  --  I've got an Amiga 2000, and I was wondering if the AT slots
              inside are connected already to the rest of the machine, or
              is the bridgeboard required.  I've heard both, and don't know
              which is true.  If the slots are connected, would IBM AT stuff
              (modem, harddrive card, etc) work (with appropriate software)?

mail order -  What reputable mail order companies have people used?  I've
              never done any mail order (other than upgrades).

Could answers to any or all of the questions be e-mailed to me?  I'll compile
the answers and repost, if interest is high enough.

                                     Many thanks....

                                                        Rob

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (03/03/89)

)
)Modems    --  I looking for a good modem, preferably 2400 baud.  I've heard
)Elite     --  A couple of months ago I saw something about Elite on the net.
)AT slots  --  I've got an Amiga 2000, and I was wondering if the AT slots
)mail order -  What reputable mail order companies have people used?  I've
)
)Could answers to any or all of the questions be e-mailed to me?  I'll compile
)the answers and repost, if interest is high enough.
)                                                        Rob

C'mon, buddy ... Please keep this stuff out of .tech.  I was going to just
let it go with my single posting a few days ago, and hoped that the signal
to noise ratio in this group would start creeping up, but this is a new low.

Take all general questions and comments about the Amiga computer, its repair,
its peripherals, rumours of its future, viruses that it contracts, and virtually
anything that would not bore a user and post them where the sophisticated users
are found: comp.sys.amiga.

Please post only those items pertaining to programming and hardware development
in comp.sys.amiga.tech.

Let's go to extremes for a while to compensate for our recent bad period of
low signal, high noise.

I do acknowledge and appreciate your offer to summarize EMail responses, in
an apparent effort to minimize the traffic from your posting, but it's
just in the wrong place.

Thanks for your indulgence, everyone.

	jimm

--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"Like you said when we crawled down
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          from the trees: We're in transition."

kevin@uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) (03/04/89)

In article <2975@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> sanders@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert M Sanders) writes:

>A few questions, at least one of which I know has been asked before....
>
>Could answers to any or all of the questions be e-mailed to me?  I'll compile
>the answers and repost, if interest is high enough.
>
>                                     Many thanks....

                                                         Rob
If you feel the need to POST answers to these questions, please do so in
comp.sys.amiga.  This discussion is not of the appropriate techincal
content for comp.sys.amiga.tech.

Kevin
--
UUCP:  kevin@uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

sanders@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert M Sanders) (03/04/89)

To everyone on the net:

   If I've gotten people upset about the original posting, I'm sorry.  I've
gotten several e-mail & net flames from people complaining about posting the
original questions to comp.sys.amiga.tech instead of to comp.sys.amiga.  I DID
post to comp.sys.amiga, and got no replies for several days.  As well, I was
under the impression that comp.sys.amiga.tech was also for technical/hard-ware/
'nitty-gritty' type questions regarding the Amiga.  I assumed (perhaps wrongly)
that a question concerning the full-size AT expansion slots inside the Amiga
2000 would qualify.  If not, perhaps a re-post of the posting policies for
amiga.tech would be in order, to prevent others from making the same 'mistake' I
did.  Perhaps I should have limited the post in .tech to the AT question instead
of reposting the entire question.  I'm putting this here hopefully to stop
another set of flame attacks (both e-mail and net) , which use up the bandwidth
that several of my flamers are complaining about, and to say WHY I posted the
original to comp.sys.amiga.tech.

                                                        Rob