[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Duplicate Volumes

c60c-1ea@web-1g.berkeley.edu (Yen Yuanchi Hsieh) (03/07/89)

Subject:  Duplicate volumes

In the DevInfo structure, each disk seems to have a File system lock, so:

   Is it possible to traverse through DevInfo, find the correct volume
(as noted by the volume creation date, and the name fields), and DupLock
the File system lock?  I'm going to try that when I get home in a couple of
hours, let you know if I get it working...

David Navas  c60c-1ea@WEB.Berkeley.Edu

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (03/08/89)

c60c-1ea@web-1g.berkeley.edu (Yen Yuanchi Hsieh) wrote:
> Subject:  Duplicate volumes
>
> In the DevInfo structure, each disk seems to have a File system lock, so:
>
>    Is it possible to traverse through DevInfo, find the correct volume
> (as noted by the volume creation date, and the name fields), and DupLock
> the File system lock?  I'm going to try that when I get home in a couple of
> hours, let you know if I get it working...

Let me figure out what you're doing here...
the rootnode (struct RootNode) has a BPTR (rn_Info) to an info
sunstructure (struct DosInfo), which has a BPTR (di_DevInfo)
as the head of a singly linked list of DeviceList structs.

Now, these are *not* locks.  This is basically DOS's table of installed
devices; the things that are valid as device names.  A device can be on
this list with *no* outstanding locks.

Now, some of the DeviceList structs (those of type DLT_VOLUME, 2) have
a dl_LockList field, which is again a singly linked BPTR list, this
time of outstanding locks on a volume.  But this is only used when the
volume is off-line.

So I'm bot too sure what you're trying to do.
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor