[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Harddisks/Bitmaps/FFS

G35@DHDURZ1.BITNET (Werner Guenther) (03/10/89)

I'm currently writing (yet another) program to recover damaged disks, but
I have one big problem:
What is the maximum size of a partition under FFS ? Under the old file
system the root block has room for 26 pointers to bit map blocks, giving
26*127*32=105664 sectors or about 52.5 megabytes.
As far as I know, FFS does not such a limitation.
What exactly did change ? Are those bitmap blocks linked together somehow ?
If yes, how ?
Anyone ?
Thanks in advance,
Werner (g35@dhdurz1.BITNET)

In <8903091628.AA05318@jade.berkeley.edu>, G35@DHDURZ1.BITNET (Werner Guenther) writes:
>I'm currently writing (yet another) program to recover damaged disks, but
>I have one big problem:
>What is the maximum size of a partition under FFS ? Under the old file
>system the root block has room for 26 pointers to bit map blocks, giving
>26*127*32=105664 sectors or about 52.5 megabytes.
>As far as I know, FFS does not such a limitation.
>What exactly did change ? Are those bitmap blocks linked together somehow ?
>If yes, how ?

 The FFS supports a 2 Gigabyte partition (all bits bu the sign in a longword).

 The extra bitmap block pointers are kept in a 'bitmap extension' block,
pointed to by the contents of longword $68 in the root block.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.