[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Manx C 5.0 --- Real Soon Now?

GIGUERE@WATCSG.BITNET (Eric Giguere) (03/15/89)

In article <15802@oberon.USC.EDU> Macro Papa writes:
>You're quite right, BUT MANX 5.0 is way way down the line, AND a lot of
>"current" programs do assume that the argument promotion is performed
>(which has a lot of implications like sign extension, etc...).  As you
>mention, the ANSI standard ensured that 'old' programs that assumed the
>"argument promotion" be performed will still behave like K&R, UNLESS
>function prototypes have been added.  MANX 5.0 (as well as Lattice 5.0)
>library stubs will clearly be different from the current release.

Granted Manx 3.6a is not ANSI-compatible; however, Lattice 5.0 is and
this obviously affects a lot of users.  While programmers should keep
the old style stuff in mind for compatibility, they should also be
thinking about the future.

>The reason I am saying that MANX 5.0 is way down the line is that they re
>still asking on BIX what "features" programmers would like to see in MAX
>5.0 (as you probably know MANX 4.x will not be released).  So you shoul
>assume that you'll have to work with MANX 3.6 for quite some time.

I'm not so sure that it's such a long way off.... somebody on the net
mentioned July.  The "features" they're asking for probably have to do
with the user interface and the integrated environment (did someone
tell them to support ARexx?) rather than the compiler itself, because
the ANSI standard is well-documented and has been around in a stable
state for about a year now.  If Manx 5.0 is a full ANSI implementation,
I'll be happy.  If it's something like Lightspeed C on the Mac --- great
environment, but the compiler needs work (as I found out when I tried
to port an ANSI C program to it) --- then it might be time to switch
to Lattice.

Eric Giguere
Computer Systems Group, University of Waterloo

BITNET: GIGUERE@WATCSG         Other: giguere@watcsg.UWaterloo.CA
UUNET : watcsg!giguere@uunet.UU.NET