[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Alternate environment

Here's an idea -- for someone feeling adventurous:

Take my "launch" code.

Have it use an extra bit to mark a file as special.

If the file is special:

	Don't get locks for arguments, just bundle the full file name.

	Add code to have it set up pr_CIS and pr_COS behind a process'
	back, between the time it does a CreatProc and it sends the
	startup message.

Write an _main() that has, in addition to the normal stuff, a test for the
existance of Input() and Output(). If so, it pulls in argv from the WBArgs
list in the WBStartup structure.

This should let you test most of the idea of a better shell without having
to create a whole new environment.

Maybe add a return code to the end of the WBStartup structure...
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

deven@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (03/16/89)

In article <3624@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
 >Here's an idea -- for someone feeling adventurous:

Oh, reasonably adventurous, it would seem...

 >Take my "launch" code.

What launch code?  Normal WB startup or something else?

 >Have it use an extra bit to mark a file as special.

There's still the danger of losing the bit, but ok...

 >If the file is special:

 >        Don't get locks for arguments, just bundle the full file name.

Getting locks for arguments?  huh?

 >        Add code to have it set up pr_CIS and pr_COS behind a process'
 >        back, between the time it does a CreatProc and it sends the
 >        startup message.

Um, doable, I suppose.

 >Write an _main() that has, in addition to the normal stuff, a test for the
 >existance of Input() and Output(). If so, it pulls in argv from the WBArgs
 >list in the WBStartup structure.

Hmm.

 >This should let you test most of the idea of a better shell without having
 >to create a whole new environment.

Yeah, but I plan to create the new environment.  But it's still worth
considering...

 >Maybe add a return code to the end of the WBStartup structure...

Perhaps...

Deven

--
------- shadow@pawl.rpi.edu ------- Deven Thomas Corzine ---------------------