[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Big Problems with A1000

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) (03/19/89)

I am having some problems with my Amiga 1000 computer.  Time does not pass
for the darn thing.  What I mean is this, when I run any sort of clock
program, time does not pass.  This is not a buggy program since I have run
them on a friend's machine and they work fine.  I figure maybe a chip is
loose or blown.  Can anyone recommend anything besides taking to a dealer
to have it fixed.  I can do simple repairs myself if I just know what to do.

--
% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates'          %

richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu (Robert Steven Richardson) (03/21/89)

In article <1683@aucs.UUCP> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) writes:
>I am having some problems with my Amiga 1000 computer.  Time does not pass
>for the darn thing.  What I mean is this, when I run any sort of clock
>program, time does not pass.  This is not a buggy program since I have run
>them on a friend's machine and they work fine.  I figure maybe a chip is
>loose or blown.  Can anyone recommend anything besides taking to a dealer
>to have it fixed.  I can do simple repairs myself if I just know what to do.
>
>--
>% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
>% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates'          %
>% Wolfville N.S.    %     walking the streets today "             %
>% CANADA            %                       - S. Corbett          %

I have the exact same problem with my just-out-of-warranty B2000.  Its
over 100 miles to my dealer.  The service tech told me he was sure he
could find it for me in a week, and fix it for no labor charge.  Nice,
but I can't sacrifice a week without my machine.  This stuck clock
causes a couple of programs that depend on the system clock to appear
to lock up while waiting for events to pass that never happen.
The BATTERY-BACKED-CLOCK WORKS FINE, but the system clock used by
programs like "Clock" on the workbench disk just sticks wherever you
last used the DATE command. (Or SetClock Opt Load)

If someone over at Commodore could tell me what chip the clock
resides on, I could pop it and replace it myself.

Thanks for ANY help.

Bob Richardson               |  "An Apple a Day?  Call the Doctor!"
richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu   |       - David Letterman
220 NW 21st                  |  "Thank you for your recent appli-
Corvallis, OR 97330          |   cation for a STUDENT Citibank VISA
503-758-5018                 |   account.  We regret we are unable
------------------------------   to approve your request because of
the following: (1) Insufficient References (2) You are a student"

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (03/22/89)

> I am having some problems with my Amiga 1000 computer.  Time does not pass
> for the darn thing.

Coming soon to a theatre near you---`The Amiga That Time Forgot!'
Watch as dozens of users are born, use the computer, and die, but
the Amiga stays healthy as ever, gronking lustily to disk after disk!
Be astounded!  Be amazed!

> What I mean is this, when I run any sort of clock
> program, time does not pass.

Oh, I see.  Sorry about the above.  This sounds like a watch Batman
found at one point---click it on, and *time* *stops*!  Have you
considered using this to alleviate Apple of those troublesome 68030's?
Yeah, let's get a bunch of Amiga people together, run that clock
program on that magic Amiga, and we'll all go steal all the processors
out of all the Macintoshes the world over.

-tom "sorry, but I couldn't resist"

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) (03/22/89)

In article <9539@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> richarr@nikola.UUCP (Robert Steven Richardson) writes:
> If someone over at Commodore could tell me what chip the clock
> resides on, I could pop it and replace it myself.
>
> Thanks for ANY help.
>
> Bob Richardson               |  "An Apple a Day?  Call the Doctor!"
> richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu   |       - David Letterman

The chip you seek is U300 - the 8520 CIA-A

   Rick Sterling   |   Test Engineering - Commodore Electronics, Ltd.
      N2CGI        |   UUCP  {allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling

adam@cbmvax.UUCP (Adam Levin CATS) (03/22/89)

In article <6374@cbmvax.UUCP> sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) writes:
>In article <9539@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> richarr@nikola.UUCP (Robert Steven Richardson) writes:
>> If someone over at Commodore could tell me what chip the clock
>> resides on, I could pop it and replace it myself.
>>
>> Thanks for ANY help.
>>
>> Bob Richardson               |  "An Apple a Day?  Call the Doctor!"
>> richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu   |       - David Letterman
>
>The chip you seek is U300 - the 8520 CIA-A
>
>   Rick Sterling   |   Test Engineering - Commodore Electronics, Ltd.
>      N2CGI        |   UUCP  {allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling

But before you buy a new one to replace it, try swapping it with the
other 8520 (directly beside the suspect one).  It is unlikely that
both 8520's have the same defect, so this should help you be certain
that your difficulty _is_ the 8520.  Adam

--
     Adam Keith Levin  --  CATS   Commodore-Amiga Technical Support
     1200 Wilson Drive / West Chester, PA  19380     (215) 431-9180

franks@ritcsh.UUCP (Francis Shea) (03/23/89)

In article <1683@aucs.UUCP> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) writes:
>  What I mean is this, when I run any sort of clock
>program, time does not pass.

Thats funny, my clock works fine, i think, i've never tried it......
i get by just fine with a watch.
who cares about save times anyway?????

frank shea

              Frank Shea