[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Dnet at 1200 baud

schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu (03/26/89)

Has anyone used Dnet at 1200 Baud?  I've got it running, but fterm seems
to be unnaturally slow and choppy... has anyone else experienced this?
This is with only a single fterm, nothing else.
And if not, what could be going wrong?

Also, to use loadav Dnet expects a command called "la" on the Unix side.
Where can I get this?

-Mike Schwager				schwager@a.cs.uiuc.edu
-- {uunet,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
	University of Illinois, Dept. of Computer Science

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (03/26/89)

In article <42700008@m.cs.uiuc.edu> schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>Has anyone used Dnet at 1200 Baud?  I've got it running, but fterm seems
>to be unnaturally slow and choppy... has anyone else experienced this?
>This is with only a single fterm, nothing else.
>And if not, what could be going wrong?

It helps if you reduce the maximum packet size - that's easiest done on
the Unix end.

What I was thinking of doing was a variable maximum packet size with
an exponential rolloff. Thus if you start typing, the packet size would
go down to 20 or so, and stay there for about 20 seconds, then rapidly
advance towards 200.

I might supply diffs someday, but for now, "it's in the queue".

Sean

--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (03/28/89)

[ This isn't a technical amiga discussion anymore.
  Followups to comp.sys.amiga. ]

In article <42700008@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, schwager@m.cs writes:
>Also, to use loadav Dnet expects a command called "la" on the Unix side.
>Where can I get this?

You're running an obsolete version of DNet.  The current version
(2.01) uses the more commonly found ``uptime'' command.  You can get
the current version via anonymous ftp from ucbvax.berkeley.edu
(/pub/amiga/dnet*) or xanth.cs.odu.edu (/amiga/dnet-2.01.tar.Z).

If you don't want to upgrade, you can use the ``uptime'' command in
place of ``la'' in sloadav.c in the UNIX code.  The old sloadav does
work with the uptime command.

However, you might not want to use sloadav.  It's setup to invoke
``uptime'' for *each* update.  This means that for every update, your
server process forks, invokes a shell which execs uptime.  This is a
lot of overhead for a loadav display.  A better solution would be
either to have sloadav read /dev/kmem directly (security problems
aside), or use RPC/XDR to get the data more efficiently (but not
everyone has rpc, though it is available).

I don't run loadav because of the amount of load it adds to the system...
(Seems self defeating...)

	...tad

--
Tad Guy         <tadguy@cs.odu.edu>     Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA