[comp.sys.amiga.tech] memboard help requested

henning@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Mark D. Henning) (03/29/89)

good day,

I am thinking about embarking on a fun project (i hope), being that I
want to build a memory board for my amiga 1000.  I do nees some
advice, however.

1. what function do the 3 autoconfigure lines have.  How do I tell the
OS how much new memory is added, or does it do a memory test on
reboot.

2. I have figured out that I need to use 16 chips because of the 16
data port lines.  Aside from memory chips and buffer chips, are there
any other components I will need to consider.

3. If I were to think about adding a self-contained uart thus making a
serial port, how would I let the configure know about it. (Im sure
that I will ahve to make a custom driver for it, that, i'm not worried
about.)

4. If anyone has an idea how to make the battery backed up clock taht
the 501 board uses, I would also like that option.

I want to do this for several reasons.  First and foremost is the fun
of finally being able to make something hardware related for a machine
(i prevoiusly had a c128 which made hardware addons very limited!)
Also, the prices of prefab memory boards are outrageous!

Any help or insites would be appriciated.   Thanks in advance.

						-henning

Internet: henning@stolaf.edu
uucp: ..uunet!solaf.edu!henning

In article <1686@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> (Mark D. Henning) writes:
> 1. what function do the 3 autoconfigure lines have.  How do I tell the
>OS how much new memory is added, or does it do a memory test on
>reboot.

Get the hardware manual for the A1000. ($20 from CATS, 1200 Wilson Dr,
West Chester, PA, 19380) It explains the bus, autoconfig, and how to
build the expansion hardware. [It assumes you know digital logic already]

>2. I have figured out that I need to use 16 chips because of the 16
>data port lines.  Aside from memory chips and buffer chips, are there
>any other components I will need to consider.

This is not a good sign Mark. DRAM memory design (assuming you are using
DRAMs) requires some refresh logic, the memory chips, some address line
drivers, and a passing knowledge of transmission line design. You should
probably read the Texas Instrument's DRAM design application notes (part
of their Memory Book (a catalog of DRAM chips)) or the Intel DRAM design
notes which is part of their databook on RAM chips.

>3. If I were to think about adding a self-contained uart thus making a
>serial port, how would I let the configure know about it. (Im sure
>that I will ahve to make a custom driver for it, that, i'm not worried
>about.)

Using the knowledge gained from the autoconfig discussion in the A1000
schematics stuff, you can deduce how to make an autoconfigured serial
port.

>4. If anyone has an idea how to make the battery backed up clock taht
>the 501 board uses, I would also like that option.

If you get the A500/A2000 technical reference manual from CATS ($40)
you can look at the A501 schematic. Or use the design from the A2000.

>I want to do this for several reasons.  First and foremost is the fun
>of finally being able to make something hardware related for a machine
>(i prevoiusly had a c128 which made hardware addons very limited!)

Building new hardware for your computer is always interesting and fun.
The risks are that you can fry your computer, which is not fun. When
learning hardware design, one should always strive to become an excellent
diagnostician first, because as in programming, most of your time will
be spent tracking down bugs. Before you start, be sure you have access
to schematics to your machine, a logic probe, a PAL programmer, and at
least a 100Mhz dual trace oscilloscope. A logic analyzer is nice but
not essential.  Then as you progress, incorporate your new knowledge
into later designs.  In fact you may wish to design the UART circuit
first, this would entail learning how autoconfig works and setting up a
board to use it.  Then this same knowledge can be applied to the memory
design.

>Also, the prices of prefab memory boards are outrageous!

Outrageous is a relative term, given your questions I believe it will
take somewhere between two to nine months for you to complete your
homebrew memory board. [It depends on if you can work full time or
if you have to restrict your work to evenings and weekends]. Plus
you may end up repairing your Amiga one or more times. The cost
of the parts you will require will be in the range of $250 to $450
depending on the size of memory board you make. Plus you will probably
want to build a PC board although a wire-wrap board will work for
a while. Do you have the stuff to make a PC board ? [UV lamp, etching
tray, photo enlarger, etc] How about the stuff you need for wire-wrap?
PC's will set you back about $100 for a good setup, and about $50 a
board. The wire-wrap stuff is cheaper, more like $50 setup but the
wire-wrap sockets are more expensive. This is not meant to discourage
you, only to point out that the difference between you building it and
you buying it may be a couple of hundred dollars _at most_. When
you consider that, the prefab prices are not nearly so outrageous.
In fact they can look like a bargain nine months from now!

>Any help or insites would be appriciated.   Thanks in advance.
>						-henning

Free insites available here. I'm one of those weird people that got
there degree in Electrical Engineering but make their living programming.
I've designed and built boards professionally, but find I like the
ability to create test equipment out of thin air (eg program it) rather
than go through purchasing to get it.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"