[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Harddrive problems

rld@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Robert Doran) (03/31/89)

Greetings,

I am trying to set up a harddrive system for my Amiga 500, and I
am having some problems.

My hardware setup is as follows:

A500 with A501 memory expansion(total 1 Meg)
1 external floppy
Pacific Peripherals SubSystem 500
A2090 controller
Lapine LT2000 Harddisk in external case with power supply:
    ST506, 20 Meg, 65 Msec
    4 surfaces, 17 Bl/track, 615 cyl

While trying to get the system up, I am using the Workbench 1.3
disk right out of the box (a backup, that is!).  The version of
Prep on the 2090 software is 33.16.

When I power up the system (first subsystem, second harddisk, then
Amiga) the disk starts spinning and the heads start stepping until
the amiga prompts for the WB disk; at that time the harddisk stops
spinning.  It seems that when the amiga tries to communicate with
the disk, the LED on the harddisk flashes.

Unfortunately, I don't have and technical info on the Lapine (I'm
going to see what I can get tomorrow).

Is anyone using a Lapine disk with a 2090?  Does anybody have any
idea what could be wrong?

When and if I get this problem taken care of,  how well will this
setup work?  A local dealer told me (AFTER I bought everything!)
that the A500 doesn't work well with DMA controllers.  Is this true?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks in advance

-Bob Doran

rld@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Robert Doran) (04/01/89)

In article <1219@Portia.Stanford.EDU> rld@portia.Stanford.EDU (Robert Doran) writes:

>I am trying to set up a harddrive system for my Amiga 500, and I
>am having some problems.

It seems that my distress call to netland was a little premature.  It
turns out that my harddisk was defective!  Oh well, sorry for the waste
of bandwidth.

>Pacific Peripherals SubSystem 500
>A2090 controller
>Lapine LT2000 Harddisk in external case with power supply:
>

>When and if I get this problem taken care of,  how well will this
>setup work?  A local dealer told me (AFTER I bought everything!)
>that the A500 doesn't work well with DMA controllers.  Is this true?

Well, to answer my own question, everything is working well!  The Lapine
is a nice, quiet drive, especially for the price ($129).  The A2090-A500
combination seems to work fine.  I haven't had any trouble so far, but
I guess only time will tell.......

-Bob Doran