[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ARP with 1.3

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (03/29/89)

This has probably been asked, but I didn't see it float by.  Can I replace
my new 1.3 commands with my old ARP commands in my C directory?  When
will the 1.3 extensions for ARP be coming out?

Anyways, I'm about to try this, but I may not run into problems immediately.
So I thought I'd ask...  (Anytime I can reduce my C directory by enough to
stick the last Manx program on the disk....  Couldn't quite get "ln" to
fit.)

Oh -- while I'm freeing up space on my shell-disk -- which of the fonts
do people think I could get away with tossing?  At about 12-14K per font,
it'd be nice if I could get rid of 2 or 3 I'm not going to use.

Finally -- can someone In The Know explain the difference between using
Jim Goodnow's "rez" program and the Amiga "Resident" command?

-Joe
--
Rushdie: Wonderful!  You're going to kill me.  What a finely-tuned response
		 to the situation.  (What he should have written?)

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (03/30/89)

In article <6472@dayton.UUCP>, joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) writes:

> This has probably been asked, but I didn't see it float by.  Can I replace
> my new 1.3 commands with my old ARP commands in my C directory?  When
> will the 1.3 extensions for ARP be coming out?

Thad Floryan has tested all of 'em and knows which ones are incompatible.
Was it RESIDENT and ASSIGN?  I forget.  Thad?

> Finally -- can someone In The Know explain the difference between using
> Jim Goodnow's "rez" program and the Amiga "Resident" command?

Resident (1.3) works if a program is 'pure', meaning no global variables
and fully re-entrant.  Thus it permits you to have only one copy of the
code loaded at one time, with multiple programs using it.  Kinda like
the shared libraries.   Each invocation of the code has to allocate
its own work areas (and if it executes scripts, the <$$> facility
now in 1.3, which gives the current CLI number (ASSIGN HERE<$$>: ""
for example) is a big help in this area).

'rez', which works only with code compiled with Manx 3.6 and above,
recognizes certain explicit code sequences in the loaded code, and
adds a patch to create a separate data-segment (initialized as well as
uninitialized data) so that the code is loaded only once, but the
data segment is created afresh for each incarnation of the program.
He actually patches into the segment-list of the loaded program,
(really neat.. he explained it once at BADGE about a year ago).
I forget the other limitations, if any.  He stopped at version '0.4',
perhaps because of the known progress of 1.3's RESIDENT command.

MAYBE when Manx 5.x comes out, we'll see more (no knowledge in this
area, just speculation).

I guess someone just oughta write a "Complete Guide To Making A Program
Pure and Residentable", if not already available.  But I STILL like
Jim Goodnow's approach... viva la hacker.

Rob Peck

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (03/30/89)

Joe Larson:

You want to know if ARP 1.2 (Release 2.0) will work with WBench 1.3?

Good news!!  They will!  However you will probably want to keep a few
of the 1.3 commands because they handle the new protection bits.

Here is what I use:

ARP 1.2 commands except for Mount, List, Protect, Copy, and Install.

ARP Mount has some interaction with 1.3 that causes problems(goes the
rumor).  All I know is that I had less problems after I started using
the 1.3 Mount.

ARP List, Protect, and Copy don't handle the new protection bits.

ARP Install doesn't clear out the whole Boot block like 1.3 does which
is an anti-viral feature.

And that's it.

You may want to use more of the 1.3 commands than I do.  I have WShell
which includes extra functionality so I don't miss the new features of
1.3.

Dana

jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) (03/30/89)

In article <5236@ardent.UUCP>, rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
> In article <6472@dayton.UUCP>, joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) writes:
> >
> > This has probably been asked, but I didn't see it float by.  Can I replace
> > my new 1.3 commands with my old ARP commands in my C directory?  When
> Was it RESIDENT and ASSIGN?  I forget.  Thad?

I know that Resident and Mount are not compatible.

> I forget the other limitations, if any.  He stopped at version '0.4',
> perhaps because of the known progress of 1.3's RESIDENT command.

Hmmm.. I only have 0.3... anyone know where I can get REZ 0.4?

> Pure and Residentable", if not already available.  But I STILL like
> Jim Goodnow's approach... viva la hacker.

Another interesting approach is used in ARP...  it provides a method for
the program to request the size of the stack it needs,  helping to prevent
both waste and crashes.  A program can also know if it is resident and thus
clone its data segment only when it is resident reducing the overhead when it
is run from disk while still allowing it to be made resident if desired..
--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (03/31/89)

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
> 'rez', which works only with code compiled with Manx 3.6 and above,

Actually, rez *works* with every program I've ever tried (bcpl, lattice
progs, etc).  I don't know that it can share code for all of them, but that's
usually not why I rez things.

-Miles

ecphssrw@robin.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (04/02/89)

In article <16432@cup.portal.com>, FelineGrace@cup (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:

>Here is what I use [with 1.3 from ARP 1.2]:
>
>ARP List, Protect, and Copy don't handle the new protection bits.

In addition to this, which may seem fairly minor, ARP Copy also doesn't
work with files written to PIPE:.  Apparently, it has a test inside like
if (input-file-size < my-buffer-size)
    copy input-file-size bytes from input to output

Since the input-file-size returned by PIPE: is always 4096, ARP Copy
copies the first 4096 bytes from a PIPE: file and quits.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu