[comp.sys.amiga.tech] new stuff - DAT players

Peter Mitchell@tcom.stc.co.uk (Peter Mitchell) (03/31/89)

For the past few days I have seen a lot of talk about using DAT machines as
a back up device for the Amiga.
Why bother with this method when writtable CD players are on the verge of being
released. I know that such players have been demonstrated but at the moment it
is only possible to write once to a blank CD. This however is due to change as
a rewrittable system is being developed.

This system would have many advantages over a DAT system.

{i}   Faster access than with a DAT.

{ii}  The same blank CD's will be used for both the computer and audio markets
so tthe cost of a blank disc will be fairly cheap (I have seen prices of five
pounds (approx $8) quoted).

{iii} Each compact disc can hold in excess of 200 Mbytes of data (I think!).

{iv}  The compact disc could be used as an alternative to the hard disc at a
much reduced cost.

{v}   The compact disc will be a more reliable means of storage - they can not
be damaged by magnetic fields as the information is written and read by a twin
laser system. A powerful laser is used to write a bit and a lower powered laser
is used to read a bit.
Also unlike a hard disc you can move a CD without fear of damage.
The CD will not wear out due to constant use.

{vi}   Finally you can use youre Amiga to digitally process the recorded sound
on conventional CD's.

ddave@pnet02.cts.com (David Donley) (04/02/89)

I wouldn't use a CD for my harddisk!  I hear they have 1 second access times
if you are lucky!
                    Call the Bug Eyes BBS at (213) 372-4494
     ddave@pnet02.CTS.COM ddave@pnet.gryphon.COM killer!gryphon!pnet02!ddave

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/03/89)

In article <1517@bute.tcom.stc.co.uk> <pm@stc.UUCP> writes:
>For the past few days I have seen a lot of talk about using DAT machines as
>a back up device for the Amiga.
>Why bother with this method when writtable CD players are on the verge of being
>released. I know that such players have been demonstrated but at the moment it
>is only possible to write once to a blank CD. This however is due to change as
>a rewrittable system is being developed.

	Actually, I've seen removable media magneto optic drives around
	for some time now.  600Mb.  The expected commercial price is around
	$2500-$3000, when released.  Also, the NeXT machine comes shipped
	with a 256Mb removable magneto optic (MO) drive. (But how long will
	it ship for...(sorry, had to get that in there)).

>{vi}   Finally you can use youre Amiga to digitally process the recorded sound
>on conventional CD's.

	That depends.  On our CD ROM unit, we placed a hardware lock on the
	drive that won't allow you to read in the digital audio data.  There
	are protection bits on the disc which say whether the publisher wants
	people to be able to read the audio data, but I don't know if our
	drive pays attention to them.  Anyways, the point is that the
	manufacturer of the CD-ROM drive must first allow you to access the
	CD audio data before you can manipulate it.

| This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of   |
| any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how           |
| disorganized things really are.                                |