[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Wanted: specs for Eric Graham's Movie anim file format

ofer@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Ofer Licht) (04/04/89)

Does anyone out there have the specifications to Eric Graham's movie
anim file format?  Is his "J-compression" algorithm available for
perusal?
--------
I am now able to make the movie package (dilbm, pilbm, movie) function
consistently (read: no gurus) and find the resulting anims to be
significantly faster than those created by makeanim,grabanim,etc.
The movie anims, however, take longer to create and require more storage
space.  The storage and speed factors suggest that "J-compression" is
not quite as good as Jim Kent's "vertical encoding" compression used in
ANIMs of type 5.  Then why do the movie anims take so much longer to compute?
--------
I am willing to sacrifice the storage requirements of movie anims but would
like to speed the process up a bit.  Currently, I produce animation frames
in ilbm format on a network of suns (using DBW render ported back to UNIX and
a custom local network job distributer).  I download the frames and process
them into an anim on the amiga.  I would like to be able to process
the frames into an anim with a "J-compression" algorithm running on a sun4.
If you have any suggestions for other compression algorithms, email me.

Note: anyone interested in my ray-tracing setup on the suns is welcome to
	a copy of all sources (including the network job distributer and
	the modified DBW render package).

Ofer Licht
ofer@gandalf.berkeley.edu

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (04/05/89)

In article <22556@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ofer@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Ofer Licht) writes:
>Does anyone out there have the specifications to Eric Graham's movie
>anim file format?  Is his "J-compression" algorithm available for
>perusal?
>--------
>I am now able to make the movie package (dilbm, pilbm, movie) function
>consistently (read: no gurus) and find the resulting anims to be
>significantly faster than those created by makeanim,grabanim,etc.
>The movie anims, however, take longer to create and require more storage
>space.  The storage and speed factors suggest that "J-compression" is
>not quite as good as Jim Kent's "vertical encoding" compression used in
>ANIMs of type 5.  Then why do the movie anims take so much longer to compute?

Nobody has the code for the Movie format except Eric Graham himself.  I
tried to get the code for almost a year from Byte-by-Byte for use with
my Animation:Editor program.  They did promise me several times to send
it, however I still don't have it.  We ended up writing a daemon program
that captures the frames from memory and stores them in a friendlier
format.

As for the observations you made about the size/speed problems, you are
correct.  Movie files are generally MUCH larger than ANIM files, unless
the image has a LOT of dithering or is made of digitized images.  This
is because Movie has a special way to deal with heavily dithered images.
That's why it takes so long to pack, it changes the packing algorithm on
EVERY line!  It takes about an hour to pack 30 frames in Movie, compared
to 2-3 minutes in ANIM.

If you're making films, you still really need to single frame record the
frames anyway, so you might as well use the format that packs better.
Also, there are MANY ANIM compatable programs out there now, so when you
use Movie, there aren't many tools you can use.  Still, I still wish
Byte-by-Byte would release some of the info about how Movie works.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Wierd, the Wierd go Professional

bhine@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Butler Hine sst) (04/06/89)

While we're on this subject, does anyone have the source to an IFF ANIM
compressor (the 'standard' format, not Byte-by-Byte's)?  I am playing
with the QRT ray tracer and would like to create and pack animations
on a Vax, instead of creating the frames and downloading them to my
Amiga to pack them.  I have the executables for a couple of ANIM packers
on my Amiga, but don't have any source.  Thanks.

			Butler Hine
			hine@galileo.arc.nasa.gov

ofer@saruman.Berkeley.EDU (Ofer Licht) (04/06/89)

In article <23495@ames.arc.nasa.gov> bhine@pioneer.UUCP (Butler Hine  sst) writes:
>While we're on this subject, does anyone have the source to an IFF ANIM
>compressor (the 'standard' format, not Byte-by-Byte's)?
>			Butler Hine
>			hine@galileo.arc.nasa.gov

Grabanim is available on Disk 2 of the DEVCON88 disks.  This includes source.
I am working on porting it to UNIX.  If anyone has done this already, let me
know.

Ofer Licht
ofer@gandalf