[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A2500 won't boot with 2090A installed!

u572555600ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000008376;0;195;141;) (04/07/89)

This is kind of a long story, so I'll try to explain the problem as
quickly as I can. My Amiga 2500 broke down after
2 months. I turned on the computer one day, and got nothing, so I took
it in for service. After 6 hours, the repairman Craig finds out that
one of the traces on the back of the motherboard has a gap! I'm not
kidding! It's true. Anyway, he bridged the gap with a piece of wire,
and then it seemed to be working. Unfortuneately, there were some
other injuries to my poor computer. The 1.3 kickstart rom flaked out,
and Craig installed a 1.2 chip. Craig has been begging Commodore for
spare parts for months now, and so I'll have to wait a month or more
for the 1.3 chip to get here. (Commodore says they have to take orders

by hand until they get new software implemented: Lucky me!)
    Since the motherboard is so flaky, we're ordering another one.
Meanwhile, I just brought my computer home with 1.2 kickstart, and
the hard drive doesn't seem to work with it. My question is:
Is 1.2 kickstart causing my preformatted hard drive with 2090 controller
not to work? (What it does when I turn on the computer with 2090 installed
is the red power light flashes nonstop, and the screen remains grey).
Could someone knowledgable on this please let me know if my 2090 is fried?

If so, I'd like to konw as soon as possible so I can send it back to have
it replaced.

Time is of essence. I'm a software developer (making a video game), and I
was supposed to send the next version of my demo to Electronic Arts this
week, but it looks like I'm in for a wait. ARGHHH!!!!!

In article <3902@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> u572555600ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Frank kuan) writes:
>2 months. I turned on the computer one day, and got nothing, so I took
>it in for service. After 6 hours, the repairman Craig finds out that
>one of the traces on the back of the motherboard has a gap! I'm not
>kidding! It's true. Anyway, he bridged the gap with a piece of wire,
>and then it seemed to be working. Unfortuneately, there were some
>other injuries to my poor computer. The 1.3 kickstart rom flaked out,

	How did it happen?  Sounds like a power surge or power supply
problem.  (I vote for power surge)

>Is 1.2 kickstart causing my preformatted hard drive with 2090 controller
>not to work? (What it does when I turn on the computer with 2090 installed
>is the red power light flashes nonstop, and the screen remains grey).
>Could someone knowledgable on this please let me know if my 2090 is fried?

	1.2 KS does not allow autoboot.  If you have an A2500, you have an
A2090A (with boot roms).  To work with 1.2KS, you have to pull the ROMS and
boot off floppy, like an A2090.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup