[comp.sys.amiga.tech] macro buffer size for Lattice and/or Manx

dinsdale%liaison@Sun.COM (Tom van Peer) (04/07/89)

Does anyone know how to circumvent the limitations on the length of macros
imposed by both Lattice and Manx?  With Lattice the maximum length of the
substituted text is only 512 bytes.  Manx has a higher (but undocumented) limit
but that still is not enough for me and my programs.  I haven't been able to
find anything in the documentation on this.  Thanks.
Tom van Peer.

tom@pcg.philips.nl or
dinsdale@liaison.sun.com (whichever is closer to you)

shs@uts.amdahl.com (Steve Schoettler) (04/08/89)

In article <97851@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> dinsdale@sun.UUCP (Tom van Peer) writes:
>Does anyone know how to circumvent the limitations on the length of macros
>imposed by both Lattice and Manx?

I keep running into this too.  I think the only solution is to port
gnu cpp, and use it to preprocess for the manx or lattice compilers.

Steve
--

        Steve Schoettler
        shs@uts.amdahl.com

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (04/09/89)

In article <16lNl52RH61010VfuDk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> shs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Steve Schoettler) writes:
>In article <97851@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> dinsdale@sun.UUCP (Tom van Peer) writes:
>>Does anyone know how to circumvent the limitations on the length of macros
>>imposed by both Lattice and Manx?
>
>I keep running into this too.  I think the only solution is to port
>gnu cpp, and use it to preprocess for the manx or lattice compilers.

This has been recently addressed on bix.

Use the large compiler (lc1b).  You get it by supplying a -g switch to lc.

The lc1b first pass _seems_ to be able to eat huge macros of the kind
found in gcc or xwindows.

-scott