[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Crashing with the CLI

850031m@aucs.UUCP (GORDON R. MAC GREGOR) (04/09/89)

I need some help on this one.  Im writing this (wonderful :-) utility
that I'm thinking of posting if I can make it bug free in the next two weeks.
I might be without net access for awhile after that.
THE PROBLEM: My program seems to work fine from a shell (including 1.3's)
but crashes when run from CLI.  This fact, I hope, points to some problem
that someone might [must?] be aware of.  I'm using the manx compiler.
This program accesses files and writes to the current window(console).
It's using AmigaDos calls for all i/o.  Why would a shell be immune to these
crashes (i.e. system error-GURU-reboot) ?  I get guru # 4.00c04fd0 ( at addr
00c16??? also).  Gomf tells me its an illegal instruction & code likely out
of control.  Too add to the confusion when I exited the shell and returned
to the CLI.  It worked!?
I'm using two other boot-disks (1.2 & 1.3) to do the dry CLI tests. Could
these be bad (infected?-not according to VirusX1.2)?

      /
    \/  ross

In article <1759@aucs.UUCP> 850031m@aucs.UUCP (GORDON R. MAC GREGOR) writes:
>THE PROBLEM: My program seems to work fine from a shell (including 1.3's)
>but crashes when run from CLI.

This kind of crash may be attributable to the size of the stack. Use the
stack command to see what it is, try doubling it's size. The default is
only 4000 bytes which can be way to small if you are doing a lot of
Examine/ExNext stuff.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"