[comp.sys.amiga.tech] New stuff

richard@panchax.gryphon.COM (Richard J. Sexton) (03/25/89)

A couple of things I've noticed that could have a dramatic
impact on computers i ngeneral and 680x0 based systems in
specific.

1) DAT decks.

	How many of you have hard disks on your Amiga ?

	Hmm, a fair number. Ok, put your hands down now.

	Now, how many of you have tape drives as well, as
	a back up device ?

	Not that many, eh ?

	I recently read an article in a magazine that made the
	point that DAT decks are on the verge of replacing
	CD's and vinyl for consumer audio. They also made
	the point that volume of scale is going to
	make these things pretty cheap in a couple of
	years, and that a home/audio deck could also
	be shared as a harddisk backup device.

2) Math chips

	From _EDN February 16, 1989, page 21_  Weitek has announced
	the Abacus 3168 numeric coprocessor. When teamed with a
	25 Mhz '030 it gives 6M Whetstones and 1.5M Flops Linpack
	(Double Precision). It seems to be a multiply/divide square
	root unit, only, so you would still need a 68881 for
	transcendental functions. Also it's unclear whether it's
	a 64 or 80 bit device so if any precision would be lost
	is uncertain.

	Two things ARE clear though: 1) it's FAST, and 2) we'd
	better start making noises to support this thing compiler
	/library wise so it's ready when the chip is available.
	It's supposed to sell for $500 (in lots of 2500) for
	a 25 Mhz 121 pin package sometime around April.
	Wait a minute THIS April ?  Wowsers... too late.

	Does anuybodyhave any idead how fast this thing is compared
	to 68881/2 ?

--
                The bonds of truth are not made to measure
decwrl!gryphon!panchax!richard                    richard@panchax.gryphon.COM

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (03/27/89)

richard@panchax.gryphon.COM (Richard J. Sexton) writes:
>         I recently read an article in a magazine that made the
>         point that DAT decks are on the verge of replacing
>         CD's and vinyl for consumer audio.

I hope you took this article with several large boulders of salt...

-Miles

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (03/28/89)

In article <2017.AA2017@panchax> richard@panchax.gryphon.COM (Richard J. Sexton) writes:
)
)A couple of things I've noticed that could have a dramatic
)impact on computers i ngeneral and 680x0 based systems in
)specific.
)
)1) DAT decks.
)	I recently read an article in a magazine that made the
)	point that DAT decks are on the verge of replacing
)	CD's and vinyl for consumer audio. They also made
)	the point that volume of scale is going to
)	make these things pretty cheap in a couple of
)	years, and that a home/audio deck could also
)	be shared as a harddisk backup device.

I worked on a project using RDAT's as PC backups.  There are two big "if's."

1) Will the RDAT really catch on?  Not real clear, since even where they're legal
  they haven't jumped off the shelves, it seems.  If they don't happen RSN,
  they might get skipped over for imminent recordable optical techology.
  They DO hold a lot more info than a CD, though, and are probably easier
  to use in a car.

2) Can you make a decent backup using consumer components?

One nice thing you would expect out an integrated music/data solution would
be a nice audio digitizer at no extra cost ;^)

The RDAT is a nice thing, though.  There's a button on the Sony which means
"Skip this song, and never play it again."  Also, the seek operation is
viciously fast, for tape.  Quite suitable for audio needs, in my opinion.
Not as nice as having a big optical archive disk on your computer, though.

)2) Math chips
)	Two things ARE clear though: 1) it's FAST, and 2) we'd
)	better start making noises to support this thing compiler
)	/library wise so it's ready when the chip is available.
)	It's supposed to sell for $500 (in lots of 2500) for
)	a 25 Mhz 121 pin package sometime around April.
)	Wait a minute THIS April ?  Wowsers... too late.

The ieee libraries should be able to make use of any reasonable chip, even
if it doesn't drop in as a coprocessor.

	jimm

--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"Like you said when we crawled down
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          from the trees: We're in transition."

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/28/89)

In article <wY=G4xy00UkaILBNQJ@andrew.cmu.edu> bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) writes:
>richard@panchax.gryphon.COM (Richard J. Sexton) writes:
>>         I recently read an article in a magazine that made the
>>         point that DAT decks are on the verge of replacing
>>         CD's and vinyl for consumer audio.
>
>I hope you took this article with several large boulders of salt...

No.

I can see how technology may take a while to reach a backwater town
like Pittsburg, but here in Los Angeles, 60% of the songs on the
radio station I listen to are on DAT, and the first DAT only store
selling players and tapes has already opened.

I don't mean it's gonna replace vinyl and cd's in six months,
but I expect that withinn two years very significant inroads
will have been made.

--
                  Keep out of the reach of children
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (03/28/89)

> ... DAT decks are on the verge of replacing CD's

Were you referring to it as a backup storage system?  Why wait for DATs???
Most people already have VCRs.  VCRs hold OOOdles of computer data on nice
reliable 1/2" tapes.  The IBM world already has boards to interface their
computers with VCRs.  And DATs have been scuttled by nervous North American
manufacturers who are afraid they will be used for piracy.  Judging by the
computer software market, they're right.  In many people's minds, DAT is
dead.  Is anyone working on VCR-Amiga interfaces for archiving????  Julie

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (03/28/89)

R-DAT: speaking as a mostly contented professional user of R-DAT for
audio, I would say it is extreme unlikely that it will replace CD's.
It may penetrate more than it has, but with the ridiculous cost of
pre-recorded music (not *software* please) and the dubious life of the
ksets vs non-invasive optical reading ....

but when will the DAT backup SCSI drives become available ???
--
Frank C

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (03/28/89)

R-DAT on the radio. I assume those tapes they are playing are copies
they made themselves for their own kornvenience, since commercial
releases, in backwater Boston anyway, are non-existent. Good thing
for them that ol' copy-code never got through...
--
Frank C

king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (03/29/89)

In article <2017.AA2017@panchax> richard@panchax.gryphon.COM (Richard J. Sexton) writes:

>1) DAT decks.

Excellent idea Richard. DAT decks have just started appearing in the pro
music stores here (at least at Saved By Technology in Toronto), but they
didn't have any tapes for sale. Sony will sell tapes to people for
professional purposes only, but you need a company letterhead to order.

In other words, don't hold your breath. But what about 8mm video? This
format should also be amenable to HD backup, and can store video or
(literally) hours and hours of PCM audio (24 hours I think) on a single
tape. Note that this audio is very nearly (inaudible difference) as good
as DAT or CDs.

BTW. Flame on you Richard for not answering my mail.

		/* posted from amiga42 - The Answer */
--
{utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!zorac!dretor!king  |  king%dretor@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (03/29/89)

-
-Were you referring to it as a backup storage system?  Why wait for DATs???
-Most people already have VCRs.  VCRs hold OOOdles of computer data on nice
-reliable 1/2" tapes.  The IBM world already has boards to interface their
-computers with VCRs.  And DATs have been scuttled by nervous North American
-manufacturers who are afraid they will be used for piracy.  Judging by the
-computer software market, they're right.  In many people's minds, DAT is
-dead.  Is anyone working on VCR-Amiga interfaces for archiving????  Julie

	VCR holds oodles of data:  True.  1/2" tapes are pretty reliable:
True.  Problem is that VCRs is an analog device.  Data has to be converted
to analog, and converted back when read.  High-end DATs will have digital
interface, so you can record straight data without going through the analog
process.  DAT has a smaller form factor, so the recorder will be smaller.
With all these advantages, I think DATs will catch on quickly as backup
devices for PCs and workstations.

	As for the "piracy" issue, I'm sure it's been beaten to death
already.  Basically, the broadcast and movie industries thought the same of
VCRs.
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (03/29/89)

In article <13830@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>I can see how technology may take a while to reach a backwater town
>like Pittsburg, but here in Los Angeles, 60% of the songs on the
      ^^^^^^^^^

Dammit, if you're gonna insult us, at least spell it right!

Pittsburgh.  burgh.  GH.  Get it?  Pittsburgh.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

In article <396@lexicon.com> fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) writes:
>but when will the DAT backup SCSI drives become available ???

It may be time to find a new newsgroup for this thread, but...
What are the differences between DAT and the currently available tape
backup systems?  They're both tape, and they're both digital, but I'm
sure it goes beyond that.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (03/30/89)

in article <3700@amiga.UUCP>, jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) says:

> )2) Math chips
> )	Two things ARE clear though: 1) it's FAST, and 2) we'd
> )	better start making noises to support this thing compiler
> )	/library wise so it's ready when the chip is available.

> The ieee libraries should be able to make use of any reasonable chip, even
> if it doesn't drop in as a coprocessor.

This is true.  However, the ieee libraries may slow the thing way down, to
the point where you'd be better off running a 68881 or 68882.  For instance,
some of these quick math chips do adds in 3 clocks, multiplies in 5, at
any precision (register to register of course).  It's likely that a well
written IEEE library for such a beasty could do more complex math operations
perhaps faster than a Motorola FPU, but simple add and multiply instructions
could lose big going via library.  Two things could help this situation

(1) Compilers that know about killer math chips.  Obviously, we aren't likely
    to see the likes of this at least until there's a standard killer math
    chip.  In 80386-system land, a version of the Weitek Abacus killer math
    chip is rapidly becoming a secondary standard; perhaps such a standard
    in Amiga-system land would help this along.

(2) Math libraries with higher level functions.  If we had access to math
    libraries that support real high level functions, like matrix math,
    the price of a call to such a library function might get so small as
    compared to the length of the function, that we'd really get to see
    a performance boost closely tracking the FPU in place.  This could even
    support vectorizing FPUs or multiple FPUs acting in concert.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

warren@wucs1.wustl.edu (Warren Burnett) (03/31/89)

In article <1606@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca> king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
>In article <2017.AA2017@panchax> richard@panchax.gryphon.COM (Richard J. Sexton) writes:
>>
>>1) DAT decks.
>In other words, don't hold your breath. But what about 8mm video? This
>format should also be amenable to HD backup, and ..........

Here at the Wash U. Engineering School, we are using an 8mm Exabyte drive to
back up our mini's (uVaxen and Sun's).  We use standard Sony 8mm 90 minute
video cassettes and get about 2.3 Gbytes on each tape.

The drive is pretty fast, faster than our 9-track.  It is on the SCSI port
on one of our Sun 4/280's; I don't see any reason it couldn't be used on
the SCSI port of an Amiga (with a suitable cable, of course).  It is also
pretty reliable; using the error rate given in their documentation (I don't
remember the exact figure) we calculated that if you use 2 tapes per week,
you could go 63 years and encounter only a single bit error.

As I recal, the drive was pretty expensive, somewhere in the neighborhood
of $5000 to $7000.  This is probably overkill for an Amiga system costing
only a couple of thousnad dollars, but if you are looking for a way to spend
some money and have ALOT of data to back up, this might be what you are
looking for.

				Warren Burnett
				warren@wucs1.wustl.edu

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (04/01/89)

In article <2017.AA2017@panchax> richard@panchax.gryphon.COM (Richard J. Sexton) writes:
>2) Math chips
>	From _EDN February 16, 1989, page 21_  Weitek has announced
>	the Abacus 3168 numeric coprocessor. When teamed with a
>	25 Mhz '030 it gives 6M Whetstones and 1.5M Flops Linpack
>	(Double Precision). It seems to be a multiply/divide square
>	root unit, only, so you would still need a 68881 for
>	transcendental functions.
Somewhat impressive, but why settle for less. The Intel 80860 (N-10) will
absolutely blow the doors off the Weitek part and just about anything else.
It is a 64 bit RISC processor with an internal FPU capable of 80 MFLOPS or
120 MOPS (millions of operations per second). Intel claims that peak
performance could push 105K drystones, 26M whetstones, and 21 MFLOPS for
double precision LinPac. There is also builtin 3D graphics support allowing
500,000 3D transforms per second with clipping and perspective. The graphics
support also incudes Z buffer compare for hidden surface removal and pixel
interpolation allowing it to generate 21 million Gouraud shaded pixels per
second. Caching on chip is provided by separate 4K instruction and 8K data
caches. Initial release will be in the 33MHz and 40MHz speeds but 50MHz is in
development. The parts are currently sampling for $750. I have been toying
with the idea of building an Amiga graphics board with one of these on it
but the software support required is well beyond my capabilities.
Looks like Intel has finally designed something that is worth the silicon
its on.
|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (603)885-9583               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (04/01/89)

In article <846@savax.UUCP> thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) writes:
>In article <2017.AA2017@panchax> richard@panchax.gryphon.COM (Richard J. Sexton) writes:
>>2) Math chips
>>	From _EDN February 16, 1989, page 21_  Weitek has announced
>>	the Abacus 3168 numeric coprocessor. When teamed with a
>>	25 Mhz '030 it gives 6M Whetstones and 1.5M Flops Linpack
>>	(Double Precision). It seems to be a multiply/divide square
>>	root unit, only, so you would still need a 68881 for
>>	transcendental functions.
>Somewhat impressive, but why settle for less. The Intel 80860 (N-10) will
>absolutely blow the doors off the Weitek part and just about anything else.
> [lots of unbeliveable stuff about performance and low lovel graphics support]

>Initial release will be in the 33MHz and 40MHz speeds but 50MHz is in
>development.

Yeah, but is it fast? ;^)

 One note, when I was at Raster we were doing a board design with the N10
to do all this fancy graphics stuff. The biggest problem we had with the
chip was that it was so heavily pipelined that if you ever had to abort
an instruction (interrupt) you would take major hits restarting the pipeline.
(We had an external cache in addition to the internal one, so you could take
a double miss...)
Add to this the fact that only static rams could keep up with the damn thing
to begin with and you got a complicated part to design around. In other words
the design would most likely have been memory or I/O bound. But if the
world were perfect and staic ram densities were equal to Drams, we would
have had a board that would have set the performance standard for the
industry. How fast can _you_ rotate a 3d space shuttle?

> The parts are currently sampling for $750. I have been toying
>with the idea of building an Amiga graphics board with one of these on it
>but the software support required is well beyond my capabilities.

Would be neet. I'd love the chance to do a high-perf dedicated graphics
board too. I'd also like to run Unix and Intuition on it too... Just
imagine the speed of Boing! or FA/18!

>Looks like Intel has finally designed something that is worth the silicon
>its on.

Hard to believe isn't it? Must have been a fluke.

>|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
>|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
>|      (603)885-9583               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

So butthead, is your mailer fixed yet?

Steve -Raz- Berry      Disclaimer: I didn't do nutin!
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                    ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com
"Fate, it protects little children, old women, and ships named Enterprize"

king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (04/03/89)

In article <846@savax.UUCP> thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) writes:
>Somewhat impressive, but why settle for less. The Intel 80860 (N-10) will
>absolutely blow the doors off the Weitek part and just about anything else.
>It is a 64 bit RISC processor with an internal FPU capable of 80 MFLOPS or
>120 MOPS (millions of operations per second). [...]
>Initial release will be in the 33MHz and 40MHz speeds but 50MHz is in
>development. The parts are currently sampling for $750. [...]

Excuse me if this seems like a foolish question, but how do they get
120 MOPS with a (maximum) 50MHz clock speed? I could understand an
instruction executed on both the rising and falling edges of the clock, but
that is still less than 120 MOPS.

>Looks like Intel has finally designed something that is worth the silicon
>its on.

If this thing is made of silicon, I am inclined to agree. Sure it's not
GaAs ? After all, 120MOPS implies 8.33 nS propogation; barely enough for a
few simple TTL gates.

/* the opinions herein may be flawed, but then they are only mine */
--
       ...!utzoo!dretor!king       or       king%dretor@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca

swarren@rigel.uucp (Steve Warren) (04/04/89)

In article <846@savax.UUCP> thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) writes:
>In article <2017.AA2017@panchax> richard@panchax.gryphon.COM (Richard J. Sexton) writes:
>>2) Math chips
>>	From _EDN February 16, 1989, page 21_  Weitek has announced
>>	the Abacus 3168 numeric coprocessor. When teamed with a
>>	25 Mhz '030 it gives 6M Whetstones and 1.5M Flops Linpack
>>	(Double Precision). It seems to be a multiply/divide square
>>	root unit, only, so you would still need a 68881 for
>>	transcendental functions.
>Somewhat impressive, but why settle for less. The Intel 80860 (N-10) will
>absolutely blow the doors off the Weitek part and just about anything else.
>It is a 64 bit RISC processor with an internal FPU capable of 80 MFLOPS or
>120 MOPS (millions of operations per second). Intel claims that peak
		[similar performance claims deleted]
>|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
>|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
>|      (603)885-9583               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

Yes, all these are wonderful, but I'd like to see a 68040 LUCAS :-).
Full Harvard architecture (1.25 Million transistors) on one chip.
That means an internal 68882 and MMU.  Simple (relatively) hardware
design, with software to drive it already in place.  2 MFLOPs (that
is a lot of performance, even if it looks small next to 80 MFLOPs).

There are disadvantages and trade-offs to every approach.  Sure the Intel
chip is fast (how fast is it really :-), but it's really a whole new processor.
And 64 bit data busses add $$ to memory boards pretty fast. Performance costs.
Personally, as long as I'm using an Amiga, I like the elegance and unity of
a coprocessor that appears transparent to the rest of the system.  The same
software (OK, there are library differences, but that's been discussed in
another notestream) can run on an inexpensive 500, or scream on the decked
out '020 and '030 equipped systems.

As I said, everything is a trade off.  If you've got to have 80 MFLOPs
(near-CRAY performance) then by all means go for it.  That's what we do
where I come from :-).  But the average Amiga user will have trouble finding
applications that will keep him waiting at 2 MFLOPs.

PS - if you want to talk about it more, you might want to move over to
     comp.sys.amiga, since this isn't a technical discussion.

   ///X\\\            | Steve Warren                | *******DISCLAIMER*******
 ///// \\\\           | Convex Computer Corporation | All opinions are my own.
 \\\\\ ////           | {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren  |   them on my innocent
   \\\X///            | swarren@convex.COM          |         employer.

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (04/04/89)

In article <1619@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca> king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
)In article <846@savax.UUCP> thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) writes:
))Somewhat impressive, but why settle for less. The Intel 80860 (N-10) will
))absolutely blow the doors off the Weitek part and just about anything else.
))It is a 64 bit RISC processor with an internal FPU capable of 80 MFLOPS or
))120 MOPS (millions of operations per second). [...]
))Initial release will be in the 33MHz and 40MHz speeds but 50MHz is in
))development. The parts are currently sampling for $750. [...]
)
)Excuse me if this seems like a foolish question, but how do they get
)120 MOPS with a (maximum) 50MHz clock speed? I could understand an
)instruction executed on both the rising and falling edges of the clock, but
)that is still less than 120 MOPS.

Don't quote me exactly but, They use a 64 bit IU bus which I believe is
divided up 32bits integer/ 32bits floating point instruction. So we are
talking 2 OPS per edge. How they get 120MOPS is something I don't want
(or care) to think about now (it's past my bed time).

))Looks like Intel has finally designed something that is worth the silicon
))its on.

)If this thing is made of silicon, I am inclined to agree. Sure it's not
)GaAs ? After all, 120MOPS implies 8.33 nS propogation; barely enough for a
)few simple TTL gates.

I didn't think (or get the impression) that it was GaAs.

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (04/05/89)

king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) wrote:
> Excuse me if this seems like a foolish question, but how do they get
> 120 MOPS with a (maximum) 50MHz clock speed? I could understand an
> instruction executed on both the rising and falling edges of the clock, but
> that is still less than 120 MOPS.

They have a special mode where the processor reads 64 bits of instruction
per cycle and executes one intger op and one f.p. op.  And the f.p. op
can be a multiply-accumulate, which they count as two FLOPs.  Thus, 150
MOPS peak at 50 MHz.  In reality, of course...

I posted more information than you probably want to know about the
N-10/i860/80860 to comp.arch a while ago.  Mail me if you want a copy.
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (04/14/89)

In article <1619@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca> king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
>In article <846@savax.UUCP> thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) writes:
>>Somewhat impressive, but why settle for less. The Intel 80860 (N-10) will
>>absolutely blow the doors off the Weitek part and just about anything else.
>>It is a 64 bit RISC processor with an internal FPU capable of 80 MFLOPS or
>>120 MOPS (millions of operations per second). [...]
>
>Excuse me if this seems like a foolish question, but how do they get
>120 MOPS with a (maximum) 50MHz clock speed? I could understand an
>instruction executed on both the rising and falling edges of the clock, but
>that is still less than 120 MOPS.
>
>/* the opinions herein may be flawed, but then they are only mine */
>--
>       ...!utzoo!dretor!king       or       king%dretor@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca

Not foolish at all. Actually, the 120 MOPS is achieved on the 40MHz part
by simultaneously executing a floating point add, floating point multiply,
and an integer ALU operation in a single clock cycle. This doesn't even
include whatever operation the graphics block is performing. Consequently,
the 50 MHz part can attain 150 MOPS.