[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Eliminating Lattice Messages

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (04/05/89)

Since we have this wonderful multi-tasking machine, I like to run lmk
in the background and do something more interesting while the system
compiles.  However, no matter WHAT I do the stupid lattice "progress"
messages keep coming out.  I can redirect the error messages to a file
but NOT the damned Lattice commercials.  I suspect others have had thi
problem as well and would like a solution or perhaps someone from
Lattice can stand up and defend this kind of crap.  Even a command
line switch to LC would be acceptable - Anything but this!
--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Sytek Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/06/89)

In article <193@syteke.UUCP> jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>[...]  However, no matter WHAT I do the stupid lattice "progress"
>messages keep coming out.  I can redirect the error messages to a file
>but NOT the damned Lattice commercials. [...]

	I seem to remember once hearing about a "-." option, but
	maybe I didn't.  I sold my Lattice compiler a couple years ago
	(it was the one that came with the 1.0 developer kits), but
	give it a try.

| This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of   |
| any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how           |
| disorganized things really are.                                |

In article <193@syteke.UUCP> jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>                        ...I can redirect the error messages to a file
>but NOT the damned Lattice commercials...
>Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR

I can sympathize with this. Both from Lattice's perspective and yours.
My solution is quite crude and rude, edit the lmk, lc1, lc2 binaries
and drop a NUL into the first character of the strings. You will still
get some newlines though unless you can find the printf() calls (where
you could eliminate those too.)

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (04/07/89)

In article <1208@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <193@syteke.UUCP> jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>>[...]  However, no matter WHAT I do the stupid lattice "progress"
>>messages keep coming out.  I can redirect the error messages to a file
>>but NOT the damned Lattice commercials. [...]
>	I seem to remember once hearing about a "-." option, but
>	maybe I didn't.

"-." will suppress the copyright message from lc1 and lc2.  In fact, that
is how lc suppresses those.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work on lc.  My
".c.o" default rule used to invoke lc1 and lc2 explicitly, with "-.", but
I've started using lc since 5.0 came out...I just shrink that cli window
down and ignore the copyright messages.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.

jmsc@inesc.UUCP (Miguel Casteleiro) (04/07/89)

In article <193@syteke.UUCP>, jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>               [ ... ]      I can redirect the error messages to a file
> but NOT the damned Lattice commercials.

   Try the -. switch with the LC1 and LC2 commands, it supresses the
Lattice commercials:
 LC1 -. ola.c
 LC2 -. ola.q

--
                                                                      __
 Miguel Casteleiro at                                            __  ///

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (04/07/89)

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
> Since we have this wonderful multi-tasking machine, I like to run lmk
> in the background and do something more interesting while the system
> compiles.  However, no matter WHAT I do the stupid lattice "progress"
> messages keep coming out.  I can redirect the error messages to a file
> but NOT the damned Lattice commercials.  I suspect others have had thi
> problem as well and would like a solution or perhaps someone from
> Lattice can stand up and defend this kind of crap.  Even a command
> line switch to LC would be acceptable - Anything but this!

I hacked fred fish's cc program (a replacement for lc) to work with lattice
5.0, and as a extra benefit, it eliminates all non-error messages (so a
successful compile outputs nothing).

I can send it to you if you want.

-Miles

In article <193@syteke.UUCP> jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>but NOT the damned Lattice commercials.  I suspect others have had thi
>problem as well and would like a solution or perhaps someone from

I got very sick of that very problem.
I only have Lattice 3.10, so you probly want to check
this if you have a higher revision.
Solution:
	I wrote a program that dumped its command line ( like ECHO)
	as is to the screen. I called it "lc1" and copied it to "lc2"
	Then invoked "lc". The magic option (first option) is "-.".
	This is not a valid option to "lc" however.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In Real Life: Joe Porkka
porkka@frith.egr.msu
jap@syssun.cl.msu.edu  (35.8.1.1)

ddave@pnet02.cts.com (David Donley) (04/08/89)

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>Since we have this wonderful multi-tasking machine, I like to run lmk
>in the background and do something more interesting while the system
>compiles.  However, no matter WHAT I do the stupid lattice "progress"
>messages keep coming out.  I can redirect the error messages to a file
>but NOT the damned Lattice commercials.  I suspect others have had thi
>problem as well and would like a solution or perhaps someone from
>Lattice can stand up and defend this kind of crap.  Even a command
>line switch to LC would be acceptable - Anything but this!
>--
>Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
>Sytek Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

Use the -. switch- it makes any one of the programs (LC1,LC2,GO) run quietly.
I had to newzap LC to find this out.  Note that -. is a dash folowed by a
period, not another smiley face. :-)
                    Call the Bug Eyes BBS at (213) 372-4494
     ddave@pnet02.CTS.COM ddave@pnet.gryphon.COM killer!gryphon!pnet02!ddave

ecarroll@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (04/09/89)

In article <193@syteke.UUCP>, jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
> Since we have this wonderful multi-tasking machine, I like to run lmk
> in the background and do something more interesting while the system
> compiles.  However, no matter WHAT I do the stupid lattice "progress"
> messages keep coming out.  I can redirect the error messages to a file
> but NOT the damned Lattice commercials.  I suspect others have had this
> problem as well and would like a solution or perhaps someone from
> Lattice can stand up and defend this kind of crap.  Even a command
> line switch to LC would be acceptable - Anything but this!
> --
> Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
> Sytek Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

A few days ago, somebody (I forget who - sorry) posted a message mentioning
the undocumented command line switch -. (minus period) which causes the
initial message to be suppressed. This is only present on LC1 and LC2
however (presumably so that LC can make them supress THEIR messages, while
it prints out messages of its own). So the solution is to alter your makefile
to call LC1 and LC2 seperately, with appropriate parameters, rather than
using LC to do the dirty work.

For example:

.c.o:
      LC1 -. -iINCLUDE: -oQUAD: $*.c
      LC2 -. -o$*.o QUAD:$*

--
Eddy Carroll               ----* Genuine MUD Wizard  | "You haven't lived until
INTER: ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie                            |  until you've died in

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (04/11/89)

I tried to reply by email but it bounced.  Please email me the cc you have
hacked.  Thanks a bunch
--

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (04/12/89)

In article <97839@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <193@syteke.UUCP> jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>>                        ...I can redirect the error messages to a file
>>but NOT the damned Lattice commercials...
>>Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
>
>My solution is quite crude and rude, edit the lmk, lc1, lc2 binaries
>and drop a NUL into the first character of the strings.

How about one of you wizards writing a wedge that inserts itself
into the console output stream at some point, and filters out
lines that match a particular pattern.  Thus we could stick copies
of all the lines we NEVER want to see again in some file, say
s:blackhole, and they would disappear on output.  Of course,
editing the file might be kind of interesting...

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

space@nadia.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (04/14/89)

In article <41897@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie> ecarroll@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) writes:
>In article <193@syteke.UUCP>, jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>> However, no matter WHAT I do the stupid lattice "progress"
>> messages keep coming out.
>
>So the solution is to alter your makefile
>to call LC1 and LC2 seperately, with appropriate parameters, rather than
>using LC to do the dirty work.

Same problem with Aztec C. The best way to gag an overly talkative program
is to patch the copyright messages in the executable with NewZAP or something
like that. Works like a charm for me. Just write a hex 00 over the first
character of the copyright messages.
The only thing that still bothers me is the f*ing linker. The copyright
message isn't displayed anymore, and the module listing, size display etc.
is disabled, too, but it still prints a '\n' which I haven't been able to
wipe out yet. But AHM GONNA GETCHA! :-)
--
Lars Soltau	UUCP: ...uunet!unido!pfm!nadia!space	BIX: -- no bucks --