[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Command-key equivalent colors, take 2

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (04/13/89)

[ You can't fool me with that old "line-eater" ploy ]

Well, I am becoming convinced that all of my posts are going into the
bit-bucket, because I haven't gotten any kind of response for weeks.
Please, if you are outside the state of NJ (and especially if you're on the
left-coast) send me mail indicating you've seen this.

I posted this a while back and got no response, so here goes again in a
slightly modified form.

You know the inverse "A" that appears in menus to the left of the command-key
equivalents?  Well, I have been unsuccessful in exerting any control over the
colors in which it's rendered.  I have menus which for certain reasons are
being rendered with color 0 as the background, and unfortunately Intuition
seems to think that the "A" should have color 0 as foreground and color 1 as
background.  This comes out looking really sh*tty.  I also have the same
problem with the checkmark.

Now, I can sort of fix the checkmark problem by redefining the image for it.
Is there any way to redefine the image of the "A"?  Even better, are there
*any* pen variables I can set to control the rendering colors?  I think I've
tried them all, to no avail.

If the answer to all of this is "no", then I would be inclined to call this
a bug in Intuition and file a real bug report if necessary.  Why doesn't
Intuition use the standard pen colors when rendering the "A" and the
checkmark?  It seems hardwired to colors 1 and 0, and it shouldn't be.

Looking forward to any kind of response at all,

 /.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...\
/ Neil Weinstock   / att!cord!nsw \ "Actually, it's still 256K, and we  \
| AT&T Bell Labs  /       or       \  fit MultiFinder in there, too."   |
\ Liberty Corner / nsw@cord.att.com \          - jimm, re: Amiga ROMs   /
 \.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . .../

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (04/13/89)

In article <752@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
)If the answer to all of this is "no", then I would be inclined to call this
)a bug in Intuition and file a real bug report if necessary.  Why doesn't
)Intuition use the standard pen colors when rendering the "A" and the
)checkmark?  It seems hardwired to colors 1 and 0, and it shouldn't be.

It's an image, and if you haven't guessed, you can't really control the
colors of an image (one more problem with a bit-image based rendering model).

File away.

)Looking forward to any kind of response at all,

Satisfied now, eh?  ;^)

)/ Neil Weinstock   / att!cord!nsw \ "Actually, it's still 256K, and we  \
)| AT&T Bell Labs  /       or       \  fit MultiFinder in there, too."   |
)\ Liberty Corner / nsw@cord.att.com \          - jimm, re: Amiga ROMs   /

And now all we need is QuickDraw, too, but resolution-independent.

	jimm
--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"He's hidden now, but you can see
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          The holes where he breathes."

In article <752@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>Well, I am becoming convinced that all of my posts are going into the
>bit-bucket, because I haven't gotten any kind of response for weeks.
>Please, if you are outside the state of NJ (and especially if you're on the
>left-coast) send me mail indicating you've seen this.

How about a follow up ?

> You know the inverse "A" that appears in menus to the left of the command-key
> equivalents?  Well, I have been unsuccessful in exerting any control over the
> colors in which it's rendered.  I have menus which for certain reasons are
> being rendered with color 0 as the background, and unfortunately Intuition
> seems to think that the "A" should have color 0 as foreground and color 1 as
> background.  This comes out looking really sh*tty.  I also have the same
> problem with the checkmark.

Yup, this is the problem, and nope you can't _easily_ fix it. Intuition
conveniently brings out access to the checkmark but no such luck on the
command key image. The work around is pretty brutal, use an image structure
and create a separate menu item right next to your text item. You can make
the text selection box overlap the image "menu item" and that should insure
that your text menu gets selected when you highlight it. I believe there
is an ordering problem but I'll have to check my EZMenus code to refresh
my memory.

> If the answer to all of this is "no", then I would be inclined to call this
> a bug in Intuition and file a real bug report if necessary.  Why doesn't
> Intuition use the standard pen colors when rendering the "A" and the
> checkmark?  It seems hardwired to colors 1 and 0, and it shouldn't be.

Please file a bug/rfe. Then at least you know that they know that you know
its a bug, ya know?

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

bobb@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM (Robert Bales) (04/14/89)

In article <752@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:

>Well, I am becoming convinced that all of my posts are going into the
>bit-bucket, because I haven't gotten any kind of response for weeks.
>Please, if you are outside the state of NJ (and especially if you're on the
>left-coast) send me mail indicating you've seen this.

It's been seen in Oregon!

>You know the inverse "A" that appears in menus to the left of the command-key
>equivalents?  Well, I have been unsuccessful in exerting any control over the
>colors in which it's rendered.

. . . .

>If the answer to all of this is "no", then I would be inclined to call this
>a bug in Intuition and file a real bug report if necessary.  Why doesn't
>Intuition use the standard pen colors when rendering the "A" and the
>checkmark?  It seems hardwired to colors 1 and 0, and it shouldn't be.

No answer, just a similar problem.:-) I've tried several times and failed to
get the background color in a string gadget to be other than color 0. Not too
neat when the system is being used with a genlock!

   Bob Bales
   Tektronix, Inc.

I help Tektronix make their instruments. They don't help me make my opinions.

In article <3740@amiga.UUCP> jimm@cloyd.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>And now all we need is QuickDraw, too, but resolution-independent.

Yea. How about even more: Device-independent graphics.library? A hopeless
dream?

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]