[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A suggestion for 1.4

jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (J. Brian Waters) (04/22/89)

In article <197@tlvx.UUCP>, sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) writes:
> I've mostly found that a couple of games won't work with it. I use the 68010
> without any patches or such.  I have run across decigel, a program that can
> patch the system to trap the illegal instruction in case you have to run an
> games that don't allow multitasking).  Others, like Transformer (imagine!

Two more things that do not run on a 68010 are the CPM emulator that was
recently posted and True Basic.  (the cpm emulator does have an assembly time
define for the 10 though).  Note also that if it does not work with the 68010
it is not going to work on the 68020 or 68030.

The current legal way to impliment the problem instruction (move sr,<ea>) is
to call the exec function GetCC().  This has the disadvantage of turning a fast
instruction into a  couple of expensive ones (jsr, rts etc) in adition to the
needed one.  For programs such as the Transformer and the CPM emulator this
would add too much overhead.

So,  why not have the program loader in addition to relocating address,  set
the instruction for getting the condition code for the processor that is
installed?

--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters