[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Hooking original genlock to a 2000

bvk@hhb.UUCP (Brett Kuehner) (04/18/89)

Is this possible? I have an original A1300 genlock (with mods from an old
Amazing computing), and I would like to use it with my 2000.

I've hooked a short (less than a foot) ribbon cable to the tower board,
with a 23 pin connector on the other end. I have the service booklet for
the A1300, and all my connections were based on the information in it.

When I turn my Amiga on, the system doesn't boot, presumably because the
external clock input is screwed up somehow. In the "direct" mode, I can see
the external video on my monitor, but it has black horizontal bands running
through it. In any other mode ("computer only" or "combined"), I get a blank
screen.

Checking the signals as suggested in the service guide, most seem to
be ok. However, the external clock seems to be very noisy (round, not
square). Is the cable length a problem? Am I getting noise on that line from
the other signals?

Are there other things I should check, or should I give up hope?

		Brett
--
Brett Kuehner, HHB Systems, Mawah, NJ
...!princeton!hhb!bvk

sgt@dukeac.UUCP (Stephen G. Tell) (04/23/89)

In article <197@hhb.UUCP> bvk@hhb.UUCP (Brett Kuehner) writes:
>Is this possible? I have an original A1300 genlock (with mods from an old
>Amazing computing), and I would like to use it with my 2000.
I have an A1300 (unmodified except for replacing the RCA jacks with
BNC's working on a '2000 right now.

>I've hooked a short (less than a foot) ribbon cable to the tower board,
>with a 23 pin connector on the other end. I have the service booklet for
>the A1300, and all my connections were based on the information in it.
I'm not using a cable at all, but have the A1300 bolted directly on to the '2000.
The result isn't pretty,  with the A1300 sticking up in the air (the '2000
is positioned verticly) but it works.
>When I turn my Amiga on, the system doesn't boot, presumably because the
>external clock input is screwed up somehow. In the "direct" mode, I can see
>the external video on my monitor, but it has black horizontal bands running
>through it. In any other mode ("computer only" or "combined"), I get a blank
>screen.
>
>Checking the signals as suggested in the service guide, most seem to
>be ok. However, the external clock seems to be very noisy (round, not
>square). Is the cable length a problem? Am I getting noise on that line from
>the other signals?
From these two experiments (mine and yours) the cable length seems like it
may be the problem.  Especialy since the clock signal is ugly in your case.
You might want to try using pieces of shieled cable instead of ribbon cable.

I have another problem with this setup that I hope someone can shed
some light on.  When I have no video input to the genlock, everything
is fine.  I have had it working with external video input connected, I think
when I connect it before booting.  If I connect the external video
after booting, it looks fine on the monitor, but the amiga's video doesn't
"vertical hold" unless I run a "setlace" program.  When I run setlace,
It locks, but it locks up anywhere: there's a black bar (vertical blanking
interval) from the amiga in the center of the screen somewhere, with the
computer video above and below it (top of screen below it, bottom above).

In addition, even if everything else is fine (boot with ext.video)
Only every other line of the mouse sprite-cursor is displayed unless I
run setlace.

The video sources I'm using are clean rs-170 standard, either blackburst
from a sync generator or the output of a TBC if using a VTR.

Any Ideas?
Steve
--
Steve Tell:  senior, Duke University school of Engineering (please hire me).
Former Chief Engineer, Cable 13 / Duke Union Community Television.