[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Problem with a 2090

bartz@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Edward Bartz) (04/21/89)

	I have a little problem I was hoping some one out there could
help me with.  I have a 2090 which is about a year old.  I have been
using a maxtor 120 meg st506 drive with no problem (except I can't
use heads 8-11.  God I wish CBM would either rewrite the drive to
support the adaptec 4070, or release the pal change for 16 heads).
I now however have the chance to get a conners 40 meg scsi drive as
well.  I tried one out and found a weird problem.  If I power up the
computer and the drive at the same time, bindrivers hangs.  If I power
up the computer, then the drive, then run binddrives it works fine.
It also works fine on all later reboots, as long as I don't turn off
power.
	This problem is independent of the time between power up and
binddrivers, I tested that.  Also some time ago I tested a Quantum
80 meg half hieght drive for some one and that drive did the same
thing.  At the time I thought it was the drive.  But two drives from
different manufacturers doing the same thing tells me something is
wrong.
	I can think of two possiblities.  One, the on power up the 2090
sends out garbage on the scsi bus that screws up the drives, or two,
that the mountlist entries are in some way wrong.  I nothing else,
could someone please email me the correct entry for res2: and a fast
file partion for a conners 40 meg scsi drive.

						Thanks in advance,

						Ed Bartz
--

    ARPA: Bartz@ruthep.rutgers.edu            UUCP: bartz@elbereth.uucp
                         BITNET: bartz@ruthep.bitnet

greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel) (04/23/89)

In article <Apr.21.09.11.24.1989.12246@elbereth.rutgers.edu>
bartz@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Edward Bartz) writes:
>.....  I have a 2090 which is about a year old.
>I have been using a maxtor 120 meg st506 drive with no problem .....

My 2090 is a bit over one year old, but, as with you, I've been using a
ST506 drive with no problems most of that time.

>... [trying a SCSI drive as well] ...  If I power up the
>computer and the drive at the same time, bindrivers hangs.  If I power
>up the computer, then the drive, then run binddrives it works fine.

I have similar symptoms.

>It also works fine on all later reboots, as long as I don't turn off
>power.

In my case, it wouldn't work at all on reboots unless I cycled power.
Are you rebooting from RAD: or from floppy?  I've found that there's a
timing thing involved -- I have had to move the binddrivers command to
the first line of my Startup-Sequence (even before FastMemFirst or
SetPatch) in order to boot reliably, but then I'm rebooting from floppy
disk; the timing may be different if you reboot from RAD:.

While I was adding my SCSI drive, I was trying to run off my ST-506 drive.
This turned out to be fatal; the first time I rebooted after PREPing the
SCSI drive, the system only came up about half-way through the boot script
and then GURUed.  At that point, the ST-506 drive was trashed, and I could
not even run BindDrivers so that I could mount \either/ drive in order to
format it.  I eventually had to remove the ST-506 drive, format the SCSI
drive, remove the SCSI drive and put back the ST-506 drive so that I could
format it, and only then would BindDrivers ever bind with both drives.  And
it was still unreliable, as I've indicated above; if the timing on a boot-up
isn't just right, it still hangs.

If anybody can explain what to do to fix this problem, please let me know.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel@SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg@ncr-sd