[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Floating Point in Assembly?

smithey@esosun.UUCP (Brian Smithey) (04/24/89)

I'd like to do some floating point math in assembly language but I'm not
sure how to go about it.  I've read some in the old (gold striped spine)
Libs+Devices RKM about FFP format and it says that there are entry points
in the math library for ascii string ("3.1416...") to FFP conversion,
but they can only be called from C.  Could someone explain to me why
I can't call these from Asm?  Since the FFP format is documented in the
RKM I could write this conversion myself, but I'd prefer to call the
library.  Also I'd like to know if anyone can give me recommendations
about how to do IEEE double precision in Asm.  I couldn't find the format
documented in the RKM; I'd appreciate hearing hints from anyone who has
done this as well as references to IEEE double floating point format.

While on the subject of assembly language on the Amiga, I asked the following
question in c.s.a. a while back and didn't get any feedback.  Maybe the
programmers here can help me out.  In Vol. 1, Issue 6 (Mar. 89) of
_Transactor for the Amiga_, Jim Butterfield mentions in his article on
Assembly language on the Amiga that "an excellent public domain debugger,
still under revision, has been produced by Jim Thibodeau and Larry LaPlume."
Can anyone tell me where this can be had?

Please E-mail, I'll summarize if enough are interested.

Thanks,

Brian

--
Brian Smithey / SAIC, Geophysics Division / San Diego CA
uucp:	   uunet!seismo!esosun!smithey

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (04/26/89)

In article <459@esosun.UUCP> smithey@esosun.UUCP (Brian Smithey) writes:

>While on the subject of assembly language on the Amiga, I asked the following
>question in c.s.a. a while back and didn't get any feedback.  Maybe the
>programmers here can help me out.  In Vol. 1, Issue 6 (Mar. 89) of
>_Transactor for the Amiga_, Jim Butterfield mentions in his article on
>Assembly language on the Amiga that "an excellent public domain debugger,
>still under revision, has been produced by Jim Thibodeau and Larry LaPlume."
>Can anyone tell me where this can be had?

You can find DEBUG.ARC in Library 13 of AmigaTech Forum on CompuServe.
Actually, Jim Thibodeau and Larry LaPlume have almost finished a newer and
considerably improved version, but they have not yet given permission for it
to be released.  The version mentioned here is the one of which Jim Butter-
field spoke in the article.

Betty
.........killer!pollux!bjc
CompuServe: 76702,337