[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Overhead of REPORTMOUSE

keithd@gryphon.COM (Keith Doyle) (04/25/89)

Got a question for one of the guru's  (Dale?  Jimm?), hope it
hasn't just been asked to death and I missed the responses.

Is there any extra overhead incurred when setting NewWindow.Flags with
REPORTMOUSE if MOUSEMOVE is not turned on in the IDCMP, versus a window
that doesn't have REPORTMOUSE set?

The kind of overhead I'm referring to here is having a lot of continuous
mouse messages going through a bit of extra processing before just being
thrown away because MOUSEMOVE isn't turned on.   Processing that isn't
being done when REPORTMOUSE is off.

If there is, is there any way to dynamically turn REPORTMOUSE on and
off in a Window?  Can I just set Flags directly, or would it be
ignored or cause problems?

And BTW, did anyone find any problems with Leo's method of starting
up a process without doing a LoadSeg?  If not, I plan to start doing
some experimentation in that area.

Keith Doyle
keithd@gryphon.COM    gryphon!keithd     gryphon!keithd@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

In article <15103@gryphon.COM> keithd@gryphon.COM (Keith Doyle) writes:
>And BTW, did anyone find any problems with Leo's method of starting
>up a process without doing a LoadSeg?  If not, I plan to start doing
>some experimentation in that area.

	Gee.  Someone who actually saw the code.  I was beginning to think
everyone had ignored that one.

	And BTW, it's Brian Witt's method; I just wrote the example.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (04/27/89)

> In article <15103@gryphon.COM> keithd@gryphon.COM (Keith Doyle) writes:
>>And BTW, did anyone find any problems with Leo's method of starting
>>up a process without doing a LoadSeg?  If not, I plan to start doing
>>some experimentation in that area.

	Actually I just read from KRM about devices, and
	there device driver example code used fake seglists
	when starting its process, so method should be quite safe.
	At least it is in this way 'recommended'.

				Pertti Lehtinen
				pl@tut.fi
Pertti Lehtinen				!  Alone at the edge of the world  !
Tampere University of Technology	! -------------------------------- !
Software Systems Laboratory