[comp.sys.amiga.tech] "copy" to Amiga serial port

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (05/03/89)

In article <107@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>In article <798@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
>->In article <100@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>
>->A PostScript printer is a computer, not a file.  Here
>->are three reasons why a simple utility program should be used (if you only
>->had one, sigh), rather than "copy":
>->
>->	1.  Flow control.  Unless you configure your printer for DTR/DSR
>->	flow control, or unless you handle XON/XOFF yourself, there will
>->	be a practical limit to the size of files you can print without
>->	overflowing the communications buffer.
>
>This is handled automatically by the serial device.

AHA!

The way I hack postscript is to use vi, write what I want, and
copy it to the printer. If it doesnt work, and I can't tell why
by just looking at the cose, I'd fire up a terminal emulator
and see what the printer sent back (no, I didn't know
about ehandler.ps)

Well this works fine with small files, but when the file
got above a certain size, about 150K, a working PS program
would not work if I sent it to the printer with a terminal
emulator.

I *suspect* now, that the comm program was bypassing the
serial.device, and not doing any handshaking. The comm
program was, I believe, handshake (ho ho ho), and this
is *just a guess*.

--
        ``The way to heaven is through weasel lore!'' - Ted Kaldis
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV