[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 16450?

ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (05/09/89)

For reasons too long to go into here, I'm using a serial port board on
a PC/AT which supports the RS-422 as well as RS-232 protocol.  The
board was failing to keep up at 38.4Kbaud withouth flow control (which
I can't provide) in RS-422 mode, which it shouldn't do.  A call to the
manufacturer's tech support netted a promise to send me a 16450, which
is claimed to be a faster pin-compatible version of the 8250.  Is this
legit?  Would this switch help the Amiga out at all in terms of its
serial port speed?
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (05/09/89)

I think the re-written-from-scratch serial.device that is due out in
1.4 will do more good than replacing the chip with the 16450.  "From
what I'm told"* the serial.device currently being used is a real beast
(slow, uses more CPU time than it needs, buggy... well, we all know
it's buggy) and has been re-written completely and will be able to
keep up with higher baud rates while using less CPU time.

Ah, to wait for 1.4... like waiting for love knock at your door, the
more you think about it, the longer it takes.

In a poetic mood,
Tom "Now that dorm room connections are 19.2Kbps, I want 38.4Kbps
like in the computer center!" Limoncelli

P.S.  Tony, can the new version of Vt100 include higher baud rates in
the menus?

* -- J'ever notice that when ever we see this phrase the poster gets
corrected by someone that actually does know?
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (05/09/89)

In article <May.9.00.46.34.1989.2072@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes
WRT 1.4 serial.device and its re-writing:
->P.S.  Tony, can the new version of Vt100 include higher baud rates in
->the menus?

Sure.  Before I do it, though, I'll want someone with 1.4 to *test* it
so that I don't supply something that will frustrate and confuse the
novice.  All of you possessors of 1.4, please step forward :-)

Seriously, I *would* like to hear from anyone that has 1.4 and would be
willing to try 2.9.  It'll be a while before it's ready for beta-test but
I'd still like to get some testers lined up.

BTW, I am aware that the documentation is less than adequate for the
novice and am taking steps to correct that in the next release.

-> Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
->       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389
->   Standard Disclaimer: I am not the mouth-piece of Drew University

--
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

nico@richsun.UUCP (Kevin Nicodemus) (05/12/89)

In article <696@solaria.csun.edu> ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
  [description of replacing a 8250 with a 16450 for serial port speedup on
   a IBM PC/AT deleted]

   Yes, the National 16450 is compatable with the National 8250 (I believe that
the 16450 is faster because its optimized for 16-bit data transfers, or maybe
not.  I'm not sure).  But all of this is moot.  The Amiga does not use a 8250
for the serial port, it uses one of two identical custom chips.  These chips are
numbered 8520 which might be the cause of this confusion.

   I assumed that you were referring to the built-in serial port, not an add-on
card (of which I know nothing about).

                                               Kevin Nicodemus
Where the hell did my .sig file go?
Disclaimer:  Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't matter, because SOMEBODY will
             flame me either way.

I can't believe how stupid that disclaimer sounds.  I'm always amazed at how
good Usenet is at making reasonably intelligent adults sound like fourteen
year olds dialing in from their parents' basement.  This whole paragraph is a
perfect example.

ecphssrw@lucky.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (05/13/89)

In article <319@richsun.UUCP>, nico@richsun (Kevin Nicodemus) writes:
>   Yes, the National 16450 is compatable with the National 8250...
>But all of this is moot.  The Amiga does not use a 8250
>for the serial port, it uses one of two identical custom chips.

Which I guess I should have known.  Thanks for all those who replied.
If there is any interest, I'll let y'all know if the 8250-16450 swap
in the PC does in fact increase its serial port performance.
--

In <696@solaria.csun.edu>, ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
>For reasons too long to go into here, I'm using a serial port board on
>a PC/AT which supports the RS-422 as well as RS-232 protocol.  The
>board was failing to keep up at 38.4Kbaud withouth flow control (which
>I can't provide) in RS-422 mode, which it shouldn't do.  A call to the
>manufacturer's tech support netted a promise to send me a 16450, which
>is claimed to be a faster pin-compatible version of the 8250.  Is this
>legit?  Would this switch help the Amiga out at all in terms of its
>serial port speed?

It would be legit for the 8250 used in your PC/AT. But for the Amiga, with its
8520, (which doesn't even handle the serial data anyway), it would not.

In <May.9.00.46.34.1989.2072@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) Writes:
>I think the re-written-from-scratch serial.device that is due out in
>1.4 will do more good than replacing the chip with the 16450.

It sure will! Might be interesting to see if it smokes when you plug it in
though. :-)

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |