[comp.sys.amiga.tech] modem drops 0x11

carnesm@gtephx.UUCP (Mark E. Carnes) (05/09/89)

I just came across something very perplexing, and I was hoping someone out in
net.land might have an idea.  I have been writing a game to be played across
the modem between two computers.  It works pretty well, except occasionally it
will get "confused".  I tracked it down and it appears that 0x11 is not being
transmitted.  I dumped the characters just before I wrote them to the serial
device, and had the receiving computer dump everything it received.  All the
characters were transmitted except for 0x11.  I reproduced it several times
each time when a 0x11 should have been sent it "disappeared".

I am using a Supra 2400 modem.  The program is written in C and just uses pretty
typical IO, (i.e. Opens the serial.device and issues a write command specifying
the string and its length) and of course it works for everything but the
character with a value of 0x11.

Mark Carnes (carnesm@gtephx)
UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!carnesm
AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE), Phoenix

pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) (05/12/89)

In article <431ebd96.15abd@gtephx.UUCP| carnesm@gtephx.UUCP (Mark E. Carnes) writes:
 ...cut some...
|device, and had the receiving computer dump everything it received.  All the
|characters were transmitted except for 0x11.  I reproduced it several times
|each time when a 0x11 should have been sent it "disappeared".
|
|I am using a Supra 2400 modem.  The program is written in C and just uses pretty
|typical IO, (i.e. Opens the serial.device and issues a write command specifying
|the string and its length) and of course it works for everything but the
|character with a value of 0x11.

 FINALLY! a question I can answer :-)

 Do you mean 0x11 as in ASCII 11Hex = DC1 = X-on?

 You may find that not every other character is transmitted. Try 0x13 for some
 real fun. Then make sure X-on X-off flow control is disabled for every device
 (modems and serial.device) in the link and try again.

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Mark Carnes (carnesm@gtephx)
|UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!carnesm
|AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE), Phoenix
                                    ^^^
 -I've heard of them, they do data communications, don't they? ;-)

--
Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)                  OnTyme:NSC.P/Nelson
Tymnet, McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Company       Voice:408-922-7508

addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) (05/12/89)

In article <431ebd96.15abd@gtephx.UUCP> carnesm@gtephx.UUCP (Mark E. Carnes) writes:
>I just came across something very perplexing, and I was hoping someone out in
>net.land might have an idea.  I have been writing a game to be played across
>the modem between two computers.  It works pretty well, except occasionally it
>will get "confused".  I tracked it down and it appears that 0x11 is not being
>transmitted.  I dumped the characters just before I wrote them to the serial
>device, and had the receiving computer dump everything it received.  All the
>characters were transmitted except for 0x11.  I reproduced it several times
>each time when a 0x11 should have been sent it "disappeared".

Well, as it happens, 0x11 is XON (Control-Q).  This is used for flow control
along with 0x13 (XOFF, Control-S).  You'll need to use RTS/CTS flow control
if you want to pass this characters all the way through.  Note that this
means the modems have to be configured to pass 0x11 and 0x13 without acting
upon them.

If you want your program to be easy to set up for anyone that might want to
use it (i.e. without having to goof around with getting their modems set up
correctly), I would suggest you try to stick with 0x30 through 0x7F.

Richard Addison
"Is there such a color as Pirandello

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.tech
Subject: Re: modem drops 0x11

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.tech

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.tech

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.tech

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.tech

In article <431ebd96.15abd@gtephx.UUCP> carnesm@gtephx.UUCP (Mark E. Carnes) writes:
>I just came across something very perplexing, and I was hoping someone out in
>net.land might have an idea.  I have been writing a game to be played across
>the modem between two computers.  It works pretty well, except occasionally it
>will get "confused".  I tracked it down and it appears that 0x11 is not being
>transmitted.  I dumped the characters just before I wrote them to the serial
>device, and had the receiving computer dump everything it received.  All the
>characters were transmitted except for 0x11.  I reproduced it several times
>each time when a 0x11 should have been sent it "disappeared".

Well, as it happens, 0x11 is XON (Control-Q).  This is used for flow control
along with 0x13 (XOFF, Control-S).  You'll need to use RTS/CTS flow control
if you want to pass this characters all the way through.  Note that this
means the modems have to be configured to pass 0x11 and 0x13 without acting
upon them.

If you want your program to be easy to set up for anyone that might want to
use it (i.e. without having to goof around with getting their modems set up
correctly), I would suggest you try to stick with 0x30 through 0x7F.

Richard Addison

deven@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/12/89)

In article <431ebd96.15abd@gtephx.UUCP> carnesm@gtephx.UUCP (Mark E. Carnes) writes:
[...]
>All the characters were transmitted except for 0x11.  I reproduced it
>several times each time when a 0x11 should have been sent it
>"disappeared".

0x11 is a ^Q, otherwise known as XON.  Sounds like a flow control
problem.

>I am using a Supra 2400 modem.  The program is written in C and just
>uses pretty typical IO, (i.e. Opens the serial.device and issues a
>write command specifying the string and its length) and of course it
>works for everything but the character with a value of 0x11.

I doubt the Supra is responsible; I'm using a Supra 2400, and it
transmits a 0x11 (^Q) just fine.  Neither is the language the problem.
What likely IS the trouble is the "pretty typical IO."  Typically,
XON/XOFF flow control is enabled.  Disable the flow control, either
with a SDCMD_SETPARAMS or by turning Xon/Xoff flow control off within
Preferences.

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

In <431ebd96.15abd@gtephx.UUCP>, carnesm@gtephx.UUCP (Mark E. Carnes) writes:
>I just came across something very perplexing, and I was hoping someone out in
>net.land might have an idea.  I have been writing a game to be played across
>the modem between two computers.  It works pretty well, except occasionally it
>will get "confused".  I tracked it down and it appears that 0x11 is not being
>transmitted.  I dumped the characters just before I wrote them to the serial
>device, and had the receiving computer dump everything it received.  All the
>characters were transmitted except for 0x11.  I reproduced it several times
>each time when a 0x11 should have been sent it "disappeared".

Try turning off Xon/Xoff in preferences (or by setting the serial port
parameters. $11 is Xon, $13 is Xoff. If you need Xon/Xoff capability, you can
either 'quote' the characters affected, or change the default Xon/Xoff
characters to something you never send/receive.

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/17/89)

In article <17176@usc.edu> addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) writes:
[...]
>If you want your program to be easy to set up for anyone that might
>want to use it (i.e. without having to goof around with getting their
>modems set up correctly), I would suggest you try to stick with 0x30
>through 0x7F.

0x20 through 0x2F should be perfectly safe, as well.  [" !@#$%^" ...]

Deven