[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Weird problem with SetCPU FASTROM and A2620

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (05/20/89)

I am having a weird problem with SetCPU 1.4 and an A2620 with 2 meg of
32-bit RAM.  There is also an A2090 and an ASDG 8-MI with 4 MB of RAM
in the system (a 2000, but you guessed that, didn't you...)

If I do the 'setcpu fastrom,' things will work OK for a while, 'rombash'
will tell me that it's a bit more than twice as fast, but after a while,
the system will weird out and start autorepeating characters that I type,
so if I type 'setcpu,' I might get 'sssssssssssssseeeetttttttttccccppppuuuuuu.'

Any ideas?

Incidentally, on compiles of a fairly big program of mine (about twenty
separately compiled source files), with *everything* coming out of RAD:
(executables, source, libraries, includes), I see a performance improvement
of 2.2X over running in 68000 mode.

Is that what one would expect and/or are there any other methods by which one
can improve the performance when using the '020?  Not that I'm complaining...

Oh yeah, the '20 makes playing anim files a lot more enjoyable because the
number of timing misses and max deltas are much lower.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "Nobody hipped me to that, dude." -- Pee Wee
-- Usenet BBS (713) 438-5018

thomas@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Thomas QA) (05/22/89)

In article <3838@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
> I am having a weird problem with SetCPU 1.4 and an A2620 with 2 meg of
> 32-bit RAM.  There is also an A2090 and an ASDG 8-MI with 4 MB of RAM
> in the system (a 2000, but you guessed that, didn't you...)
>
> If I do the 'setcpu fastrom,' things will work OK for a while, 'rombash'
> will tell me that it's a bit more than twice as fast, but after a while,
> the system will weird out and start autorepeating characters that I type,
> so if I type 'setcpu,' I might get 'sssssssssssssseeeetttttttttccccppppuuuuuu.'
>
> Any ideas?

This is a problem on A2000's with original keyboards (the ones with the
small function keys).  Dave H is/was working on a new setcpu which would
patch the system to keep this from happening, but I don't know what the
status of this is.

> --
> -- uunet!sugar!karl  | "Nobody hipped me to that, dude." -- Pee Wee
> -- Usenet BBS (713) 438-5018

Dave
--
Dave Thomas, Commodore Amiga Test Engineering
UUCP  ...{allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!thomas

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (05/23/89)

In article <3838@sugar.hackercorp.com>, I asked about problems with my
keyboard strangely autorepeating when I do a 'setcpu fastrom'

In article <6944@cbmvax.UUCP>, thomas@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Thomas QA) writes:
> This is a problem on A2000's with original keyboards (the ones with the
> small function keys).  Dave H is/was working on a new setcpu which would
> patch the system to keep this from happening, but I don't know what the
> status of this is.

Thanks.  It is indeed an early keyboard -- it has shrinkwrap over a splice
between the keboard cable and the DIN connector.

I followed up rather than replied because my info confirms Dave's remarks
and I thought it might be of interest to some other "early" 2000 owners.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "Woof!"
-- Free Usenet BBS (713) 438-5018

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (05/25/89)

In Message <3858@sugar.hackercorp.com>, karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:

>Thanks.  It is indeed an early keyboard -- it has shrinkwrap over a splice
>between the keboard cable and the DIN connector.                    ^^^^^^

   Are you sure its a splice and not another example of our goverment (FCC)
  trying to keep your TV and RADIO working? There should be one on the tail
  of your mouse, no?

   It seems that these are poping up on computers (MS-DOS) more and more,
  but they are installed by other methods that makes for a quality look
  rather than that cheap and shitty 'spliced look' used by Commodore. (Just
  my personal thoughts)

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS