[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Problem with CodeProbe

C506634@UMCVMB.BITNET ("Eric Edwards") (05/25/89)

I have discovered what seems to be a bug in codeprobe.  The following program i
s supposed to open a 640x200 3 bitplane screen momentarily, close it and then
exit.  And it it does if it's run from the cli.  If it is compiled with -d3 and
 run from cpr however, it gurus on the open screen call with a meditation of
00000004.00C3A2A0   Has anybody else seen this bug or is it just another of my
dumb errors in disguise?

#include <intuition/intuition.h>
#include <proto/graphics.h>
struct IntuitionBase *IntuitionBase;
struct Screen        *Screen1;

struct NewScreen NewScreen1 = {
      0,0,640,200,3,  /* SHORT LeftEdge, TopEdge, Width, Depth          */
      1,0,            /* UBYTE DetailPen, BlockPen                      */
      HIRES,          /* USHORT ViewModes                               */
      CUSTOMSCREEN,   /* USHORT Type                                    */
      NULL,           /* struct TextAtr *Font                            */
      NULL,           /* UBYTE *DefaultTitle                             */
      NULL,           /* struct Gadget *Gadget                           */
      NULL            /* struct BitMap *CustomBitMap                     */
};

void main()
{
  IntuitionBase=(struct IntuitionBase *)OpenLibrary("intuition.library",0);
              /* gurus here in cpr*/
             Screen1=OpenScreen(&NewScreen1);

             Delay(10);
             CloseScreen(Screen1);
             CloseLibrary(IntuitionBase);
}

I hope I can get this resolved.  I was hoping to use CodeProbe to swat existing
 bugs in my code instead of invent new ones.

Since the local "feed" has been very unreliable I could much appreciate if
everybody would e-mail their responses.

Bitnet:    C506634@umcvmb.bitnet                    __________________________
Internet:  C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu             / \.--------.           /  \
"The Amiga just isn't reliable enough unless you   |  | Eric   |---------+    |
know a lot about the machine" -- Jerry Pournelle   |  `--------'         !    |
  ================================================||  .--------.         !    |
"I did notice that at my party people stood in     |  | Edwards|_________+    |
 line to play with the Amiga"-- Jerry Pournelle    | /`--------'          ^   |
                           BYTE, October '88       \__________________________/

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (05/26/89)

In article <8905260346.AA05288@jade.berkeley.edu> 451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
<Eric Edwards <C506634@umcvmb.bitnet> writes in<Message-ID: <8905250048.AA20265@jade.
<I too have had exaclty the same problem. CodeProbe GURUed at either an
<OpenWindow() or OpenScreen() call. Even when trying out the program "lines"
<as told in the CodeProbe manual, the Guru invited me to a meditation session.
<But this happened only when I was booting off the Lattice_C disk. If I boot
<from my "ArpBench" disk, no problem. Due to the nature of my work, it took me
<3 days to discover that this was a CodeProbe bug. I was not amused.

Strange. I haven't had any problem with OpenWindow or OpenScreen
(printf, on the other hand...). Of course, I _never_ booted from the
Lattice disks.

The "lines" example documentation is known to be broken. Something
about the startup code - you either need to change the code so it uses
a real startup, or to invoke cpr telling it not to run the startup
code, I forget. If you really want to know, call the Lattice support
group (or the BBS) and ask.

Also, make sure you give cpr *lots* of stack. I habitually run with
50K. That may be why I never had any problems.

	<mike
--
Can't buy happiness no matter what you do		Mike Meyer
Can't get to heaven on roller skates			mwm@berkeley.edu

POSTMASTER@UNO.BITNET (05/26/89)

Eric Edwards <C506634@umcvmb.bitnet> writes in

> I have discovered what seems to be a bug in codeprobe.  The following program
> is supposed to open a 640x200 3 bitplane screen momentarily, close it and
> then exit.  And it it does if it's run from the cli.  If it is compiled with
> -d3 and run from cpr however, it gurus on the open screen call with a
> meditation of 00000004.00C3A2A0   Has anybody else seen this bug or is it
> just another of my dumb errors in disguise?
>
> ...(program followed)...

I too have had exaclty the same problem. CodeProbe GURUed at either an
OpenWindow() or OpenScreen() call. Even when trying out the program "lines"
as told in the CodeProbe manual, the Guru invited me to a meditation session.
But this happened only when I was booting off the Lattice_C disk. If I boot
from my "ArpBench" disk, no problem. Due to the nature of my work, it took me
3 days to discover that this was a CodeProbe bug. I was not amused.

Valentin
"An  operating  system  without         Name:   Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating         Phonet: (613) 231-7476 (New!)
 system without virtue."                Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
         - Ancient Inca Proverb         Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA